Roof Vent Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
Don't really know where to post this----I have a 20 year old home and discovered a small leak from one of my Vent Risers.
I got on the roof and I have something I have never seen. The 3 inch PVC pipe that extends out roof, is inside an all metal roof flange. I understand the purpose but don't think it was installed properly. It appears that the waterproofing between the PVC pipe and the Metal Flange is accomplished by bending the top edge of the metal pipe down inside the PVC pipe.
It appears to have been POUNDED in place, with the PVC pipe being app 2" below top surface of metal flange!
The metal appears to be soft and I assume it is a Lead alloy??????
Other then the small leak, I believe the 3" PVC is essentually a 2" because of the sloppy installation of the wrinkeled up metal.
Is this something I should be concerned about--I am having NO Vent problems?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
From your description, the vent pipe does not extend far enough above the roof line to meet code. If you have no problems, I would not lose sleep over it ( I am assuming it does not snow in your area. But if you have the flashing redone properly you might consider extending the vent as necessary'

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What you have is a lead flashing, which is the best type there is. It is proper to fold & shape the lead into the pipe at the top, as this is what prevents water from running down the outside of the pipe. There should not be a visible gap, the lead should fold over into the pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pipe sticks up inside the lead flashing and then the lead IS POUNDED over and into the pipe, but the "fold" is at the TOP of the pipe, not 2" above it as you appear to indicate. Just pound the flashing inside the pipe so it fits against the pipe's interior, if you are concerned about it. Otherwise, assuming it is folded at the proper point, leave it alone because it does NOT have to be a tight fit. Now, about the leak. It should NOT leak, unless the pipe is not high enough, in which case, a plumber could cut and refit the flashing if the pipe has settled out of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks