Roof vent flashing

Users who are viewing this thread

willydslc

Reaction score
Hi, I could use some input on this plumbing situation on a home a client of mine is looking to purchase. The roof is very steep and three stories up and we haven't yet been able to have someone get up there so the photo is all I have to go by so far.

I'm not a plumber but I haven't ever seen a rubber flashing like this without a pipe coming up past the flashing. I am in Salt Lake City, UT and I believe the code is 18" they are supposed to extend? Does this look like an old vent that should have been shingled over or possibly a pipe has slipped down in to the home or is it perfectly acceptable?

Thanks, Bill
rood red line.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I'm not a professional plumber, but that looks wrong to me.
There may be other things wrong too. I would suggest to your friend that if he/she likes the house and wants to make an offer, that the offer/price be contingent on the satisfactory results of a professional home inspection.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a flaw. Looking in the attic should tell you what is going on, if the attic is not made uninhabitable with blown fiberglass.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have the area around the vent in the attic checked, before signing any papers.
You will have to pay for the inspection.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pipe can be extended up from the attic using two couplings, a twelve inch piece of pipe, a can of glue, and a minimum of ingenuity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks