Romex running under kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
I had a plumbing problem under the kitchen sink and I noticed that the feed for the dishwasher runs right across the plumbing connections. The wire isn't long enough to simply re-route. First of all, is this a code violation? If so, what are the requirements for re-doing it properly?
IMG_1391.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
Not right. You can fix that when you add the AAV after your trap, or whatever fix you come up with for that.

Stuff

Reaction score
Yes, you've got multiple problems. Drain is configured as an S-Trap.
Hanging is not right. "Cables shall closely follow the surface of the building finish or running boards."
What you can do is splice another cable in. Install a junction box or two. Better would be to use the cable to feed a GFCI receptacle and then add a cord-and-plug to the dishwasher.

SAS

Reaction score
Yes, you've got multiple problems. Drain is configured as an S-Trap.
Hanging is not right. "Cables shall closely follow the surface of the building finish or running boards."
What you can do is splice another cable in. Install a junction box or two. Better would be to use the cable to feed a GFCI receptacle and then add a cord-and-plug to the dishwasher.
If it's OK to run Romex under the sink, then I can easily add a couple of junction boxes and tack the cable to the perimeter of the cabinet. I'd rather not pull out the dishwasher to re-do the connection to it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You may not have to pull out the dishwasher. All electrical connections for dishwashers are at the bottom right in the front. I just installed a new Whirlpool this past weekend for my son and the electrical box is held in with one hex screw. Remove the screw, pivot the box to the left and pull it out. The was enough wire from the wall and from the dishwasher that I was able to make the connection in front of the machine. If it's a GE brand or other older model the electric box cover comes off facing the front. You can remove the cable from the box, tie a string to the wire and pull the wire back from the sink out from the dishwasher cabinet. Use the string to pull the new wire from the sink base to the dishwasher. I had to do something similar. As I pushed the dishwasher into place the wire was being pushed back toward the back wall. I pulled out the machine, tied a pull string to the wire and as I push the machine back into place I kept pulling on the string to get the wire out in front of it.

This a new whirlpool model. After the dishwasher was leveled the leg did straighten out.
Untitled.jpg

SAS

Reaction score
You may not have to pull out the dishwasher. All electrical connections for dishwashers are at the bottom right in the front. I just installed a new Whirlpool this past weekend for my son and the electrical box is held in with one hex screw. Remove the screw, pivot the box to the left and pull it out. The was enough wire from the wall and from the dishwasher that I was able to make the connection in front of the machine. If it's a GE brand or other older model the electric box cover comes off facing the front. You can remove the cable from the box, tie a string to the wire and pull the wire back from the sink out from the dishwasher cabinet. Use the string to pull the new wire from the sink base to the dishwasher. I had to do something similar. As I pushed the dishwasher into place the wire was being pushed back toward the back wall. I pulled out the machine, tied a pull string to the wire and as I push the machine back into place I kept pulling on the string to get the wire out in front of it.

This a new whirlpool model. After the dishwasher was leveled the leg did straighten out.
View attachment 44736
You are correct about the connection to the dishwasher. Mine is a Bosch, but I checked and the connection is in the bottom right in the front. Unfortunately, without knowing where the cable originates it doesn't help all that much. It would just mean that instead of adding two junction boxes in the vanity, I would be adding one. If I could replace the entire cable I might do it, just because it seems like the right way to do things, but if it's going to be spliced under the sink, I don't care if it's once or twice.

Reach4

Reaction score
It would just mean that instead of adding two junction boxes in the vanity, I would be adding one.
One new splice box instead of two seems like a substantial improvement to me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The point is, any splice must be in an approved electrical box...so, depending on how and where you try to move the cable, as long as any splice(s) is(are) in boxes, it doesn't really matter the quantity. If you can, you might find there is excess in the area of the DW - there may be a loop or something there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks