Romex in conduit to island

Users who are viewing this thread

kktalker

Reaction score
As part of our kitchen renovation, we are rearranging our kitchen island to have, from left to right, a dishwasher, sink, second dishwasher, cabinet, and icemaker. The polite version of the story is that the electrician who started this work was not chosen by me, was not instructed by me, and will not be continuing the work (same for the plumber--ignore the hot mess that is the plumbing for now). There isn't room for a 2x4 wall behind the island cabinets for plumbing/electrical; it all has to run through cabinets. The purple circle on the floorplan shows where the wiring will come up through the slab.

In the picture, you see 4 lines of NM-B 12/2 coming out of the conduit, which I hear is not allowed. What should be there instead?

Everything you see in the pictures has passed rough plumbing and rough electrical inspections, but I live in an area where inspectors seem to be pretty lax, and I care more about doing it right than passing inspection.

IslandDetail3.png
SlabPatch2.jpg
SlabPatch1.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
Conduit is in dirt/underground which is considered a wet location. NM is made with paper and is not allowed in wet locations. Frankly the rule is ignored a lot in slab construction but it shouldn't be there. UF cable is OK but more difficult to work with. For conduit the easiest thing is to run individual THWN wires.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Where I am they use rigid conduit and pull THWN when working below grade. The ends of the conduit must be terminated in a junction box where the wiring in cabinet would be transitioned to armored cable.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Jacketed cable is designed for open air in most cases (unless it's designed to be buried), so if you put it into a conduit, the temperature rating, not counting the factor of being underground, changes the characteristics and capabilities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks