Roman tub diverter noise

Users who are viewing this thread

reasen

Reaction score
Hi All,
My newly-installed Jason roman tub (in newly-built house) makes lots of noise when the diverter valve is set to supply the tub spout. When set to supply the sprayer, the noise vanishes. Noise is rushing water sound and can be heard throughout the house. The installing plumber says the noise is due to the use of 3/4-inch pipe from diverter to spout, which is needed for large tubs. The main valves are at the head end of the tub, and the diverter, sprayer and spout at the foot end. So it's only the last 2 feet of run (from diverter to spout) that's involved in the noise. Would replacing the diverter valve likely improve situation? Or does use of 3/4-inch pipe necessarily mean noisy flow?

Thanks,
Reasen

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm assuming that they used 3/4" supply lines, but is the divertor also a 3/4" valve? When using the shower, a 1/2" valve can easily supply the water to one or two showerheads, but it acts like a restrictor when filling the tub. That restriction, if it exists, could make noise.

reasen

Reaction score
Good idea. I'll check to see what diverter was used, and whether all three ports are 3/4-inch. I guess it's possible that the output ports are 1/2-inch and the plumber used an adapter to go from 1/2 to 3/4 on the leg to the spout.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the feed was 3/4" and they used a 1/2" diverter valve, other than reducing the flow, couldn't that create some noise?

reasen

Reaction score
OK, I finally have a photo of the diverter plumbing which (hopefully) was uploaded. The diverter itself appears to be 3/4 inch all around. It is reduced to 1/2 inch for the hand sprayer (which runs real quiet). The short run from diverter to spout has 3 90-degree joints in view, and at least one more going up to the spout. I don't know why the plumber didn't use the more direct diverter port, which is just capped. Could all the 90's be creating the loud noise when water runs to the spout? How is the pipe supposed to be secured to the blocking? Or is it?

Attachments

• Diverter.jpg
    Diverter.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 397
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks