RO system plumbing - 1/4" OD PEX Connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
The inlet plumbing on my Culligan RO system plumbing is really giving me some headaches. At my tap from the main service, I have a reducer to a male thread for a 1/4"OD brass compression fitting. I had a 1/4" OD UT soft copper tube about 10' long, but the dang thing sprung a pinhole in 5 months (not kinked or pinched, the wall just failed). Think i'm going to switch out to a 1/4" OD PEX instead, but am having a heck of a time figuring out the proper way to make a compression fitting with this stuff. I know on the larger diameter pex, it's recommended you use an insert and a plastic ferrule, but not sure what the rules are on this small of a tube, can i use a regular brass ferrule compression fitting and be confident its not going to blow off in a few months? The 1/4" brass insert i have wont fit this sized pex.

Should I somehow try to source 1/4" OD type L soft copper tubing instead? I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Atomic1

Reaction score
For the inlet? there shouldn't be any RO water in the inlet. If there is, there should be concern about the copper throughout the rest of the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
For the inlet?
No. Copper should be good for the inlet. I don't know why it failed, and I understand a pinhole leak happened. That is troubling. Is that your own well, or city water?

I don't know that you will find PEX smaller than 3/8 nominal, but there is other plastic.

For the line to the RO tap or refrigerator, use plastic.

Atomic1

Reaction score
Well water. Unsoftened at about 11 grains. Inside of copper plumbing elsewhere in the house has looked good without any significant deposits. Pressure is around 40-50psi.

I have 1/4" OD PEX on my desk. My question pertains to making compression connections with it.

Atomic1

Reaction score
Maybe I'll be more specific. When utilizing a brass compression fitting with 1/4" OD PEX (also known as 1/8" pex), do you need to use the plastic delrin ferrule and a stiffener? I can find plastic ferrules, but I dont think they make stiffeners for this small of an ID.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks