RO system or ?

Users who are viewing this thread

nickelmore

Reaction score
I searched first and only found older threads so I figured to ask again. With all the newer types of things available I hope I am not out of line.

I am planning on replacing my water softener and while I am at it updating the whole house filter and figured I would look at altenatives that may make it possiable to reduce or eliminate my bottled water delivey charge.

On a well with 2 people 2 baths

One of the softener sales guys tested water at
40 hardness
2.5 iron
7 ph
750 TDS

I am not interested in buying a cheap imported POS.

I am confused about RO systems that have a mineral block to "replace" the good minerals.
Would I be better off with polishing filters?

Are 1:1 systems that much better than traditional? I am on well and septic so water drain in not that big of a deal.

I plan in installeing this in the basement about 15 feet away from the sink on the ground floor.

blaze4545

Reaction score
750 TDS
Most R.O system specs are based on <500ppm. You will more than likely have less TDS rejection on your R.O system because of this.

I am not interested in buying a cheap imported POS.
Pentair/Pentek System. Omnipure seems to boast American made. Make sure that they are using 3/8" after the membrane.
If you are going DIY, stay away from proprietary, 1/4 turn twist systems as the filter changes can be expensive.

I am confused about RO systems that have a mineral block to "replace" the good minerals.
Subjective:
What type of water are you ordering right now? If you are just ordering Reverse Osmosis water, just stick to the regular polishing filter system.
If you are ordering mineral water now, you may not like the taste (or lack of) R.O water and you should get one with a calcite re-mineralizing filter

Objective:
Are you mineral deficient? on a special diet?
If you are eating a balanced diet, the lack of minerals in the R.O water will have minimal impact.

Are 1:1 systems that much better than traditional? I am on well and septic so water drain in not that big of a deal.
With your Higher TDS, I would say yes. A conventional system may have you dumping more than 1:6 with that number.
You do not pay for water, but your jetpump/well pump still uses power to deliver the water and you are adding that extra water to your septic.

I plan in installeing this in the basement about 15 feet away from the sink on the ground floor.[/QUOTE]
Have had success installing up to 25FT with 9Ft ceilings, without the need of a demand pump.
If you are worried, increase the line after the polishing filter to 1/2" pex and run that as far as you can before you reduce it back down to 3/8".
We do this for bigger houses with over 30 ft runs.

nickelmore

Reaction score
Thank you, I hope the TDS gets lower after I install the new softener and new whole house filter.

I am not on any special diets and am looks like I am getting "purified" water delivered.

Reach4

Reaction score
They different things. The carbon polishing filters remove taste that you don't want. I don't know if there are typically tastes to removed. The mineral block is to add the materials in for drinking, like adding back calcium and magnesium. You don't want that for some RO water usage, such as cleaning. The added minerals are mainly for taste. The amount of calcium and magnesium added by the cartridge to the diet are not large compared to what you get in foods.

blaze4545

Reaction score
A water softener will not lower your TDS.
Water softener works on ion exchange, You are exchanging the calcium and magnesium for sodium ions. This may not be an
exact one for one exchange, but you are just changing the majority of the TDS into sodium chloride salt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks