RO replacement membrane

Users who are viewing this thread

Wazamadau

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am trying to get my reverse osmosis unit back into shape, but I'm having trouble locating a replacement membrane. I've attached some pictures of the one I'm trying to replace. It is a CTA type 16 gpd membrane. Part number appears to be C112N-16. I've sent an email to Osmotik (the manufacturer of the original membrane), but haven't received a reply yet. I also went to a local water care dealer, and they could not help. I've also searched the internet and found a few that I think might fit, but not sure if they are exact matches.

If anyone thinks they know where I can get one of these, or something else that you think would work, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 128

Bannerman

Reaction score
Thin Film Composite membranes are most common for Residential RO applications as they will perform better than CTA.

CTA are often originally installed in low cost RO units as low cost units will often include only a sediment filter before the membrane. CTA will tolerate chlorine whereas TFC will not.

To utilize a more common TFC membrane, if there currently is no carbon prefilter cartridge to remove chlorine prior to the membrane, you will need to add an additional filter housing prior to the RO unit. I would suggest relocating the sediment filter cartridge to the new housing to be the 1st filter so as to install a carbon cartridge within the current sediment housing as the 2nd filter.

To utilize a higher capacity membrane such as a more common 36 or 50 gallon per day, the drain flow restrictor will also need to be exchanged with a higher flow version appropriate for the membrane's capacity.

If you wish for a replacement for your existing CTA, perhaps the company linked below may offer one as a direct replacement.
https://www.appliedmembranes.com/ct...sis.html?SID=8ea9884a81dec6909f4ebebee0a3c2cc

Wazamadau

Reaction score
Thin Film Composite membranes are most common for Residential RO applications as they will perform better than CTA.

CTA are often originally installed in low cost RO units as low cost units will often include only a sediment filter before the membrane. CTA will tolerate chlorine whereas TFC will not.

To utilize a more common TFC membrane, if there currently is no carbon prefilter cartridge to remove chlorine prior to the membrane, you will need to add an additional filter housing prior to the RO unit. I would suggest relocating the sediment filter cartridge to the new housing to be the 1st filter so as to install a carbon cartridge within the current sediment housing as the 2nd filter.

To utilize a higher capacity membrane such as a more common 36 or 50 gallon per day, the drain flow restrictor will also need to be exchanged with a higher flow version appropriate for the membrane's capacity.

If you wish for a replacement for your existing CTA, perhaps the company linked below may offer one as a direct replacement.
https://www.appliedmembranes.com/ct...sis.html?SID=8ea9884a81dec6909f4ebebee0a3c2cc

Thanks for the info Bannerman. You are spot on, I have an old unit with only a sediment pre-filter and carbon post-filter. I think I found a 20 gpd CTA membrane replacement on Purewater4u.com, so I am going to try that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks