RO Fiter driving me nuts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Brook

Reaction score
I installed a GE 10gpm RO waterfilter about 15 years ago for drinking water. It has been great. Fortunately with whole house pre-filtering I am not getting much visible stuff in the water ... but we do have a fair bit of iron, sulfur and manganese dissolved in our well water. Softener and iron filter bring it to acceptable levels. The RO filter has done an excellent job to make it comfortably drinkable.

This filter by GE comprises ...

Prefilter -> Pressure valve -> RO cartridge -> Tank and Polishing filter OR Waste water -> Out.

My faucet died a couple years ago, so I installed a Non-AirGap faucet and left the airgap on the old faucet connected.

The non-airgap faucet decided to leak so I decided it was time for an overhaul.

New AirGap faucet ... it leaked from the body underneath ... not the pipes, so that had to go back and I couldn't get a new Air Gap faucet. So in goes a new non-airgap. The drain is clear enough for temporarily using it direct until I can lay my hands on an airgap or airgap faucet.

I next replaced the cartridges. And then real problem started! Leaks everywhere. I eventually got those sorted, but all the water from the RO unit is going down the waste water pipe and NONE is going to the tank or polishing tank. The position of the pressure valve appears to keep it out of the line of fire.

It's almost as if the RO cartridge is simply not letting any water get through it at all! All previous cartridge changes would produce some air and later water going into the tank ... but not this time!

Anybody had a totally reject RO filter cartridge?

Brook

Reaction score
It's almost as if the RO cartridge is simply not letting any water get through it at all! All previous cartridge changes would produce some air and later water going into the tank ... but not this time!

Anybody had a totally reject RO filter cartridge?
Well, I replaced the RO cartridge with the old one and I'm still having the same problem ... negligible water through.

I reduced the tank pressure from about 7 to 4 but that made no difference.

So, I've disassembled Johnie 5 and am cleaning everything. There may have been a minor blockage in one tube But it wasn't a complete block.

I'm going to replace the 3/8 3/8 1/4 tee tomorrow assuming I can find one! Otherwise it will be a 3/8 tee with a 1/4 adaptor on one leg!

A simple problem has now cost me nearly 4 days!

At the rate this is going, I shall go out and find a replacement RO filter for drinking / cooking water! Doesn't need to be an all singing all dancing one!

Brook

Reaction score
After taking it all apart, cleaning all the tubes and ports and reassembling it still doesn't have water flow out of the filtered port on the RO cartridge (plenty out the wastewater port) ... I gave up. I needed a new faucet anyway ... I've ordered a new system. I've had a frustrating 5 days ... between the leaking new faucet and then the problems with the filters and comparing what I've done with the breakdown diagrams and checking the fittings etc. I GAVE UP.

Reminds me of the infamous teacher Mr Spooner ... who referring to a lazy student (term = semester) "You've tasted two whole worms"

So, all things being equal, I'll have filtered water back by next Monday!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks