Riser out of plumb in two directions for new shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

49er Dude

Reaction score
I removed an acrylic shower pan and will be building a morter bed and tiling. The riser is out of plumb about 8 degrees in two directions (1 inch in 12). The arrows indicate the direction for the riser needs to move to be plumb. Since it was easy to get through the slab sump I dug down to the p trap which is about 14 inches or so below the slab. I've seen advice in another thread to remove the p trap and reinstall. Though almost exposed it will be difficult to cut, glue and make sure it is plumb partially under the slab 14 inches down. I have 12 inches of riser above the joint and will be moving the drain location a few inches from the current riser location. I had a plumber give me a quote of $500 to remove a small portion of the slab within the blue tape area and connect the drain ( I have the drain already). Thanks in advance for all advice. Dave
Shower.jpg
This is black ABS 2 inch pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it's heavy work to crack out some concrete slab, it's not difficult. That's probably the only way you'll get access and be able to do this right. You can pay someone, or do (most) of it yourself. Stacking small angle elbows can usually allow you to move things and correct for plumb but may mean you need more length to install them before the trap.
1-16th bend.jpg

49er Dude

Reaction score
While it's heavy work to crack out some concrete slab, it's not difficult. That's probably the only way you'll get access and be able to do this right. You can pay someone, or do (most) of it yourself. Stacking small angle elbows can usually allow you to move things and correct for plumb but may mean you need more length to install them before the trap.View attachment 32980
Thanks I was able to get a plumber out and its done. I didn't see him do it, it was complete and buried when I saw it, but there was about 9- 10 inches of the old riser off to the side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks