Rinnai R53 Issue - Sporadic Cold

Users who are viewing this thread

Treitz28

Reaction score
Hi all - new here, and trying to isolate a problem with our tankless water heater - Rinnai R53.

The issue: When using the shower or sink, it producing hot water for a while. However, occasionally it will go cold (NOT showing an error code). If we turn the water off, then back on, it heats up quickly again. It may do this 1 - 3 times per shower.

I talked to a plumber who thought it may be a water flow issue. He suggested trying to turn a sink on when it does it to increase water flow. This did not change anything.

I'm not a plumber, so happy to have someone service it, but I'd like to point them in the right direction rather than paying a large bill for diagnostic if possible.

Appreciate any insight.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Whens the last time the heat exchanger was cleaned with vinegar? Next time someone taking a shower watch the heaters display, temps and gpm.

Treitz28

Reaction score
Whens the last time the heat exchanger was cleaned with vinegar? Next time someone taking a shower watch the heaters display, temps and gpm.

Cleaning - I don't know... which probably mean it needs it.

I didn't realize the water temp screen would change based on actual output. I'll take a look to see what it reads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks