Rings in Toto Toilet Bowls

Users who are viewing this thread

DMY

Reaction score
I keep getting rings in my toto toilets every month.

I usually clean the ring off with bleach, but wonder
if there might be a better and longer lasting method
I should be using.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated !

Doug
Reno

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I usually use regular Toilet Bowl Cleaner and a long handled bristle-brush. Takes like 20 seconds. Actually, because I clean the toilets with toilet bowl cleaner more often than monthly, the rings don't really accumulate. Candidly, you could get it off by wiping with paper towel or a sponge, too. Just wear gloves.

Whether a ring develops depends upon the dissolved matter in your municipal water supply. Some leave more deposits than others. It's just life.

Reach4

Reaction score

Wallijonn

Reaction score
I'd turn off the water valve, flush, put a big rag or small towel over the bowl outlet hole (with a string at the end, tied to the bowl seat - just in case it wants to go down the drain ), then fill the bowl s-l-o-w-l-y (to prevent the rag from being flushed down) with a gallon or two of white vinegar, let stand about 5 minutes, brush, brush, brush, until the rings are gone, pull the rag out, flush.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Stop using bleach in the bowl, even if you bypass using the tank and pour it directly into the bowl. On my old toilets it ate the ceramic coating at the waste gate.

Once cleaned it probably would be best if you did a quick cleaning every day, just like they do in businesses. I use dish washing detergent; a little spritz on the bowl brush, two quick swipes around the bowl and rim and I let sit until my next regularly scheduled urine flush.

My problem was that if I flushed amy Brigg toilet fter every urination I would flush 3.5g of water every time. So, in my mistaken'd idealism to save water, I would not flush until the morning. The bacteria would cause a ring. The Briggs toilets were so bad that I would have to flush twice to get rid of solid matter, and sometimes I would need to flush three times.

After 3 years in the new house I decided to get Drake toilets. Now I do a quick flush after every urination and I am using less water than with the Briggs.

If you're not flushing every single time you go to the bowl, do so. One quick half lever depression for liquids, one quick complete lever depression for solids.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
https://www.totousa.com/product-faqs has CEFIONTECT care info that includes these items:
  • What’s the best way to clean my CEFIONTECT product?
  • What’s the safest way to remove hard water stains from my CEFIONTECT product?
It does not specifically forbid straight bleach IMHO, at least in that place. Maybe I missed something. Yes, chlorine bleach is a pretty strong alkali pH 11.9 on the regular Clorox MDS ... , but it is not among the really strong alkalies. I doubt that it would etch china in a reasonably short time. I would feel that a small amount straight in the bowl would be safe for long periods, and I would use it locally for certain marks for short periods. I dribbled some straight bleach, dribbled over some TP to hold it in place over the spot for a few minutes, to clear a black mark.

It does say to not use abrasives.

Not speaking as an authority, and I am not a pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks