Rheem vs AO Smith Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater HPWH

Users who are viewing this thread

Vronp

Reaction score
You can do whatever your little heart desires....
those dickheads on u-tube just barely know enough
to make a video and give you all the show-biz
smoke and glitter that you want to hear.... then you find
out the hard way

You realize that a all common electric water heaters
can leak at any time after install.... The heat pump can break down at any time after the install...
When one of these two things happen the whole unit has to be shit-canned and replaced...

Now, If this heater starts to leak past the warranty at 6 years and 30 days out then you are totally screwed

and you start over.... $1700++ the same with a 9 year tank warranty......
If the heat pump fails at any time I really dont know anyone who would be willing to work on that too....at any time and even under warranty---- not me anyway, I am not fooling with a heat pump on a water heater

I dont know if you will ever re-coup the payback on one.....for the risk you are taking....

If you just get a common electric heater and put a blanket on the unit and install a thermal expansion tank on the unit , I feel that you are way ahead of the game....

NOW While you are at it, why not go get yourself an electric car and try to charge it in California when their woke governor says they are having a brown out and not to charge your car today and then you might understand where I am coming from....

A new battery replacement for your electric car is only gonna cost you about $15, 000
but you got to remember that you are doing your small part to save the planet... :D:D:D;);)
I know old people are resistant to change but how about keeping your infantile and political comments out of this discussion? And for purposes of your education, consider reading this: https://electrek.co/2022/09/02/tesla-virtual-power-plant-growing/ and this: https://medium.com/yardcouch-com/te...the-utility-industry-here-is-how-d899b81b05aa

That's 50 MW and growing in California. Perhaps it will make it to Indiana one day.

Last edited:

stuschr

Reaction score
Wow....so much lack of information coupled with emotional arrogance on this thread.
In 2009 I bought a 80 gal. A.O. Smith heat pump water heater. It worked flawlessly for 9.5 years. Then the fan bearings went. Under the 10 year warranty A.O. Smith sent me a new fan assembly. I replaced it in 2 hours and here I am in 2024 and with zero other issues....the unit still works great.
I did the original 80 gal water heater swap in Jan (my Florida AC bill was negligible). My electric bill went down a permanent $70/month from the old electric heating element type (also 80 gal) that i removed. Never had a leak or any other issue. The LCD display did go bad (hard to read), but the unit keeps on working even when our "winter" months are in the 40s. Yes, these heat pumps have a slow recovery but you compensate by setting the water temp to about 128 - 136 (depending on how many people in the household).

In 2015 I bought and installed a Rheem 50 gal. heat pump water heater for my daughter. She has had zero issues with that.

Both of these units paid for themselves with reduced electric bills within 18 months. By the way, we keep both of them on heat pump ONLY mode. Never use the electric elements.

Hope that helps people.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow....so much lack of information coupled with emotional arrogance on this thread.
In 2009 I bought a 80 gal. A.O. Smith heat pump water heater. It worked flawlessly for 9.5 years. Then the fan bearings went. Under the 10 year warranty A.O. Smith sent me a new fan assembly. I replaced it in 2 hours and here I am in 2024 and with zero other issues....the unit still works great.
I did the original 80 gal water heater swap in Jan (my Florida AC bill was negligible). My electric bill went down a permanent $70/month from the old electric heating element type (also 80 gal) that i removed. Never had a leak or any other issue. The LCD display did go bad (hard to read), but the unit keeps on working even when our "winter" months are in the 40s. Yes, these heat pumps have a slow recovery but you compensate by setting the water temp to about 128 - 136 (depending on how many people in the household).

In 2015 I bought and installed a Rheem 50 gal. heat pump water heater for my daughter. She has had zero issues with that.

Both of these units paid for themselves with reduced electric bills within 18 months. By the way, we keep both of them on heat pump ONLY mode. Never use the electric elements.

Hope that helps people.
Your reduced electric bills (if true) would not be normal. Or close to normal.

I have several tank water heaters in different units. None of them have ever cost me $70 per month to heat my water let alone SAVE that much. I find it slightly hard to believe a heat pump could save someone $70 per month to heat water. None of my water heaters cost me even $50 dollars per month, nor $40 not even really $30. In the summer time (when we shower the most and our gas usage is only water and cooking) my gas bill is only around $25.

Most people in the US don't pay a rate that will pay them back for heating water with a heat pump. Most of the time the conditions would have to be abnormal.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I know old people are resistant to change but how about keeping your infantile and political comments out of this discussion? And for purposes of your education, consider reading this: https://electrek.co/2022/09/02/tesla-virtual-power-plant-growing/ and this: https://medium.com/yardcouch-com/te...the-utility-industry-here-is-how-d899b81b05aa

That's 50 MW and growing in California. Perhaps it will make it to Indiana one day.
Your reduced electric bills (if true) would not be normal. Or close to normal.

I have several tank water heaters in different units. None of them have ever cost me $70 per month to heat my water let alone SAVE that much. I find it slightly hard to believe a heat pump could save someone $70 per month to heat water. None of my water heaters cost me even $50 dollars per month, nor $40 not even really $30. In the summer time (when we shower the most and our gas usage is only water and cooking) my gas bill is only around $25.

Most people in the US don't pay a rate that will pay them back for heating water with a heat pump. Most of the time the conditions would have to be abnormal.

Gee, I guess its just a matter of time before something like this would happen....

you keep buying those EVs...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks