Rheem PVW50 water tank runs for over 1 hour

Users who are viewing this thread

Duffer

Reaction score
I have a Rheem PVW50 water tank that runs for over 1 hour after a few minutes in the shower.
It started doing this a few weeks ago and I am planning on getting a new one installed tomorrow.

The tank was installed 21 years ago and I had it completely serviced about 8 years ago before I did a buy out.

Any ideas on what would be causing the unit to be constantly running for so long?
It previously ran to heat the water but would shut down within a 8-10 minutes.

Just wondering if there is something that I can get the technician to check and repair instead of having to replace the entire unit.
Thanks in advance.

Phog

Reaction score
For a sudden change like that, with no other accompanying symptoms of malfunction (like temperature / pressure relief valve opening), it would be likely that something got partly clogged by debris. For example the gas orifice is partly blocked, and you're not getting enough gas flow to get the full BTU's out of the burner.

But whatever the problem, I think installing a new unit is the most cost-effective path forward. 21 years is pretty old for a water heater. At minimum you're going to spend a couple hundred bucks on a repair, and afterward you'll still have a 21 year old tank that is likely nearing end-of-life.

It's a bit like having an engine tune-up done on a 97 Chevy Blazer with a rusted out frame and holes in the floor pan.. Sure you might be to make it run better, but does it make sense to spend money on that vs. getting a new car?

PS - Go Sabres! :D

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Any ideas on what would be causing the unit to be constantly running for so long?
It previously ran to heat the water but would shut down within a 8-10 minutes.
Is that an hour of flame, or is that an hour of the power vent running? If the flame was running for an hour, I would think the water would get too hot.

Duffer

Reaction score
For a sudden change like that, with no other accompanying symptoms of malfunction (like temperature / pressure relief valve opening), it would be likely that something got partly clogged by debris. For example the gas orifice is partly blocked, and you're not getting enough gas flow to get the full BTU's out of the burner.

But whatever the problem, I think installing a new unit is the most cost-effective path forward. 21 years is pretty old for a water heater. At minimum you're going to spend a couple hundred bucks on a repair, and afterward you'll still have a 21 year old tank that is likely nearing end-of-life.

It's a bit like having an engine tune-up done on a 97 Chevy Blazer with a rusted out frame and holes in the floor pan.. Sure you might be to make it run better, but does it make sense to spend money on that vs. getting a new car?

PS - Go Sabres! :D
Thanks for the input..
I have a guy coming tomorrow to do the new install.I like the sabres too but the Knights are a team to watch...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks