Rheem-O Smith install

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put in a pair of A O Smith 40 gal water heaters in series yesterday. Purchased by a realtor for the seller. Six-year warranty. These are my first of this brand from Lowe's. I usually shop the other store since, in Atlanta, you have to drive past 3-4 HDs to find a Lowe's. Don't hate them, they're just comparatively scarce.
Nothing negative to say about them so far, but there's one major positive comment in their favor: the packaging is excellent. They have a box within a box package that should better shield the tank from cosmetic damage than anything I've seen so far.
I've carried back quite a few tanks to HD on account of denting in the sheet metal. Quite often the customers would accept a small dent or ding, but it's an added stress on the installer to have to deal with all that. Had twelve dented water heaters in a row from HD a couple of years ago. I'd pick up a tank hoping the dent would be on the back side before I ever opened the box. I guess some forklift driver somewhere doesn't like his job.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
At Lowe's "dented" means "discount".
Is 20% off for a superficial dent with the same new warranty sound good?
Plus, you can ask the store manager for an added discount if the dented WH was sitting there more than a week. For quick removal from the store you might get an additional 10% off.
Plus plus, use your Lowe's card for another 5% off.

Do the math, on a bright blue sunny day, that's 35% off.

This discounts are authorized by OA Smith, and now they rather double box the heaters to cut the out losses.
The plumbing outlet has discounts on dented as well.
Most dents are the result of crappy employees, you know, those who can't be fired for fear of lawsuits.

The closest Lowe's to me is only a mile away. HD doesn't stock and discounts dented. they ship them back.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You basically installed 2 whirlpool water heaters packaged well in a box that
say Smith on it.... The plumbing supply houses that sell Smith claim the heater sold at lowes which claims to
be a Smith is just a whirlpool heater packaged in a smith box....with a smith sticker on it....

at least that is what they claim.....at the Smith plumbing supply house...
and they are pretty pissed off about this whole thing... with people attempting
to get warranty parts from them for the Lowes stuff.......

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reminds me of that episode back in the 1970's when the GM beancounters started putting Chevy engines in the Cadillacs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks