Rheem hybrid water water error code

Users who are viewing this thread

jvolley

Reaction score
Good evening,

Just had a 2min power outage due to a thunderstorm in Centra Florida and once power was restored I notice the water heater beeping in the garage with the service icon blinking. When checking the water its displaying a code " A004.Comp.Shutdown: Discharge-Suction trip ". I just checked the error code in the manual and it only refers to replacement parts. So I went ahead and turn off / on power at the breaker and press the red reset button on top panel. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

James
---

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 9.10.19 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 9.10.37 PM.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did the error go away with a power cycle? If not, you may have fried the circuit board.

In areas that see lots of lightning, it's a good idea to install a surge suppressor on the power panel. They don't stop everything, but they're good insurance to prevent lots of them.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you probably had a power surge and it has fried the control unit
call the rheem service department today ....

You are screwed.., now be ready to be
frustrated because I doubt that there is anyone within 50 miles
of you who knows how to work on them... and their are no close by
replacement parts that are free.....

I dont have a clue which unit you have but I have had fits with just
the 12 year platinimum electric units with the digital control and wi-fi
on the front of them....

a simple , common ,,old style electric heater is what I recommend to
everyone and stay away from all the fancy circuit boards and digital
control panels that can fry out in a storm....

good luck

Last edited:

jvolley

Reaction score
Did the error go away with a power cycle? If not, you may have fried the circuit board.

In areas that see lots of lightning, it's a good idea to install a surge suppressor on the power panel. They don't stop everything, but they're good insurance to prevent lots of them.

Sadly reboot didn't resolve the issue. Right now have the system on electric heat @ 120 degrees which is bypassing the compressor until I can get it serviced soon. I'll need to look into the a surge suppressor, because I would hate for something else to go out. We've been getting hit back to back for past two weeks with afternoon thunderstorms, but that's Central FL.

Last edited:

jvolley

Reaction score
you probably had a power surge and it has fried the control unit
call the rheem service department today ....

You are screwed.., now be ready to be
frustrated because I doubt that there is anyone within 50 miles
of you who knows how to work on them... and their are no close by
replacement parts that are free.....

I dont have a clue which unit you have but I have had fits with just
the 12 year platinimum electric units with the digital control and wi-fi
on the front of them....

a simple , common ,,old style electric heater is what I recommend to
everyone and stay away from all the fancy circuit boards and digital
control panels that can fry out in a storm....

good luck

Sounds like their customer service is very poor looking up reviews online. I purchased the house but the 1yr labor has past. hopefully they'll play nice and will not give me a hard time. I'll keep that in mind regarding the old style water heater.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I think they are having issues with that unit if it is the one with a huge compressor on top...
At our rheem supply house they have a junk yard in the back of the place where you can dump
off old heaters and I recently saw about 5 of those complete units sitting in the heap.....
Nothing was saved... it all went into the trash when a leaking water heater happens....

mmeytin

Reaction score
Sounds like their customer service is very poor looking up reviews online. I purchased the house but the 1yr labor has past. hopefully they'll play nice and will not give me a hard time. I'll keep that in mind regarding the old style water heater.
Hello! Curious about the end of your experience with this water heater and Rheem support. I just got one of these installed, and started getting the same A004 error literally the next day. Will be calling their support on Monday. Did they solve your issue? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks