Rheem Gas Water Heater Code 7 Flammable Vapor Sensor

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The Honeywell gas valve locked out on me with the error sequence of 7 flashes. That might have been Tuesday that this happened, based on the water being lukewarm all day Wednesday. On Tuesday, the wife had sprayed her boots with waterproofing. She did it outside since it stinks to high Heaven and warns of flammable vapors but then she immediately brought the boots in and set them down near the water heater.

On Wednesday when I got home from work, I Googled for the error 7 code and the results say it is a Flammable Vapor Sensor detection or fault. I reset the valve by turning the temp dial up and down quickly. I assumed the boots might have tripped the sensor. She has since taken the boots away, but on Friday when I got home from work, it was again tripped and I reset it a second time. That was yesterday and so far today it is fine.

Does the sensor fully recover from the event or does it permanently affect it?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It has not tripped since the second reset. I had a leak detector that uses a 9 volt battery sitting an inch away from the sensor and wonder if the battery off-gassing might have set it off. I moved it. Guess I should check to see if the battery is leaking acid.

I have a CO detector near the water heater that went off one day when I brought a frozen car battery into the mudroom and put it on charge. Big difference between a 9 volt battery and a car battery but also different sensors and different gasses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks