Rheem Fury warranty period

Users who are viewing this thread

KansasGuy

Reaction score
Plumber quoted me a 40 gal Rheem Fury which has a 6 year warranty. He said his supply house does not offer one with a longer warranty, which I understand just means a bigger anode. From the forum here, it looks like Rheem is good, but is a 6 year heater good enough or should I look for a plumber that can get me a model with a longer warranty? Worth the extra expense? TIA!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some heaters just add a sticker for the added years. It's insurance.
I've seen six year tanks last 15-20 years.
And sometimes less then that. Some condo associations require replacement at ten years just to be safe.

By the way, I sell a lot of the Rheem heaters. I like em!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Frankly, extend warranties are very seldom a good buy. The heater is the same regardless of warranty period, you just pay extra for it. Usually if the heater fails, it will have such a small amount of warranty left it is virtually worthless. This principle applies to other appliances as well. Extend warranties are a money making deal for the seller.

JerryR

Reaction score
Frankly, extend warranties are very seldom a good buy. The heater is the same regardless of warranty period, you just pay extra for it. Usually if the heater fails, it will have such a small amount of warranty left it is virtually worthless. This principle applies to other appliances as well. Extend warranties are a money making deal for the seller.

I agree.

My feeling is that Extended warranties are insurance policies. You should normally only insure that which you cannot afford to lose. I carry hefty liability insurance on my cars but no comp or collision coverage. My cars are paid for and I can afford to replace them or repair them if damaged.

In my 42 years of home ownership, I have been lucky that my 6 year Warrantied water heaters have all gone over 12+ years before needing replacement.

KansasGuy

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone. Now I just have to decide if his $900 quote (including new supply ball valve) is reasonable and if a 0.59 "energy factor" is decent.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With Bradford White, to get a 10 year water heater, you pay an extra $200.00 and get a new sticker to place over the rating plate. Nothing on the heater changes. If the heater fails in 9 years, you get a new water heater with a ONE YEAR warranty, not ten or even six.

BrianK

Reaction score
I agree. The tanks are mostly the same just a different sticker. (I do have a Kenmore tank with a 9 year warranty and it has 2 anodes) I always replace my tanks (myself) with ones that have the anode accessible on the top - and I replace the anode myself too about every 3-4 years. The anodes cost ~$20 at Home Depot. It's a bit difficult to change - I use an electric impact wrench and a 1 1/8" socket (and ear plugs) and no more difficult than using the proper tools. Some tanks have a hidden anode or one that is integrated in the inlet or outlet and are not worth changing according to the manufacturer. My tanks generally last about 10-12 years because (I'm told) I have a water softener. My 2 cents.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks