Rheem EcoSense Heat Pump Water Heater Right for Me?

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I live in FL. My water heater is in the garage. It's HOT in my garage most of the year. HD is clearing out the 50 gal Rheem EcoSense heat pump water heater for $974 (normally $1498). I live in a 1400 sq ft home with two baths. It's just me in the house, most of the time.

My existing 30 gal electric heater works just fine but I'm enamored by the notion of having some help cooling the garage. Not to mention, the lowered electric bill (entire house is electric).

Any reason I shouldn't do this?

Thanks.

Tipsy

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Heat pump HW heaters work GREAT in hot garages from an efficiency point of view, but don't expect the cooling effect to be noticeable. The thing to watch out for is product reliabilty/warranty issues. IIRC there were some reliability issues with the offshore manufactured GEs, but not the US versions of the same. I haven't heard/read much either way on the Rheem units.

Don't expect to notice much in your electric bill either, given that it's a 1-person household most of the time. It will cut your HW heating power use by more than half, but half of "small" is still small.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Heat pump HW heaters work GREAT in hot garages from an efficiency point of view, but don't expect the cooling effect to be noticeable. The thing to watch out for is product reliabilty/warranty issues. IIRC there were some reliability issues with the offshore manufactured GEs, but not the US versions of the same. I haven't heard/read much either way on the Rheem units.

Don't expect to notice much in your electric bill either, given that it's a 1-person household most of the time. It will cut your HW heating power use by more than half, but half of "small" is still small.
Good thoughts. Thanks for the feedback.

Tipsy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks