Reworking a Hydronic Heating system

Users who are viewing this thread

impreza276

Reaction score
Hi! I have hydronic heating in my 1300 sqft (main level), 1950s rancher.

The gas boiler is at one end of the house and supplies a one inch iron pipe that runs along the center beam in the semi-finished basement. It supplies a 12"x60"cast iron radiator in the center of the basement, then runs to the other end of the house. I don't think the tees to the cast iron radiator are monoflo tees. There is a tap on the main line, set between the supply and return of the radiator, that I suppose provides the resistance to force water into the radiator.

At the other end the line splits into two 3/4" copper lines that supply the copper fin baseboard heaters in the main level of the house.

I would like to replace the cast iron radiator with something more modern, as well as move its position about 2 feet.

Should I replace the one inch iron pipe with one inch copper? Would it be okay to then add monoflo tees to supply a new radiator? I see that many of the radiators such as the Hudson Reed Sloane radiators have 1/2 inch fittings. Would that be sufficient? Should I put monoflo tees on both the supply and return of the new radiator? Might monoflo tees provide too much restriction in the water flow to the other areas? Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A radiator below the main needs both supply and return Mono-Flo tee. As long as you use 1/2" Mono-Flo tees, and not larger ones with bushings, they will not restrict the flow to the rest of the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks