rewiring electric heater

Users who are viewing this thread

handysoul

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a small electric heater which is quite old but works great. However, the plug area from the wall for about 8 inches is now very hot. I want to replace the cord and have dismantled the unit, it looks pretty straight forward. What do you think is causing this heat in the cord to occur?

Thanks

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
From use, the strands of the wire are most likely breaking where they attach to the plug, so less wire is trying to carry the current and over heating.

If the cord is in good condition, it would be easy to cut a few inches back from the plug and attach a new plug. Just be sure to use one for the proper current, not a lamp plug.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
An old outlet can also cause this problem. Basically a poor connection causes heat.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Get some cord of the proper rating, and a heavy duty plug...not one of the little lightweight gizmos. Also, consider the possibility that loose contacts on the recepetacle are contributing to this. Replace the receptacle with a contractor grade one.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is the best type of plug to get. These have screw down connections (instead of wrapping the wire around the screw).

BacoImage.asp

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
An old outlet can also cause this problem. Basically a poor connection causes heat.

Yes, and shortens the life of motors.
If the plug pulls out easily you should replace the receptacle.
It's high contact impedance. There aren't many Internet links that deal with this subject.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks