Review my Kitchen Waste line plan

Users who are viewing this thread

fineline

Design/Build
Reaction score
Would love to get some confirmation on my plans to install a new waste line for my kitchen sink. Hopefully the sketch is comprehensive enough. My main concerns are.
1. do I need a clean-out on the kitchen sink line, if so, where?
2. I know I can't connect the pvc tee-wye directly to the cast iron as it is shown - so what do you recommend is the best way to make this connection?

I posted in another thread about routing the waste line through the floor if you want to see some photos of the existing condition they are in this thread:
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16383

thanks for your help,
Sean

Attachments

• KitchenWastePlan.jpg
    KitchenWastePlan.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,319

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
1. do I need a clean-out on the kitchen sink line, if so, where?

Either a cleanout tee under the santee in the wall or a wye in the stubout before the ptrap... - wye would be better - make it come off the top half of the pipe and put a threaded bushing/FIP and plug into it...

2. I know I can't connect the pvc tee-wye directly to the cast iron as it is shown - so what do you recommend is the best way to make this connection?

the tee wye gets a couple 6" (or so) pieces of plastic glued into the hubs and the plastic is connected to the castiron pipe with banded transition couplings...
Make sure you get ones that are specifically for plastic to cast iron pipe and have full metal sleeves on them - do not just use the couplings that are rubber sleeves with 2 hose clamps...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It looks O.K. and with 2" it should drain like a champ.

1 1/2" will be easier to work with.

fineline

Design/Build
Reaction score
thank you very much for the replies, I really appreciate it. Regarding the 4x4x2 tee wye, I understand it needs to be a combo fitting, I just had the wrong language I guess. Couple things I would like to clarify.

1. Combo fitting - this is essentially a long sweep 4x4x2 correct. If I can't find that fitting I can use a 4x4x2 wye with a street 45 to get the same result correct?

2. Markts30 - does code require me to have a clean-out on that sink line? Or are you just recommending it? I'd rather not have another hole coming out of the wall/through the cabinet so I would prefer to put it on the stub-out as you suggested - would you mind looking at the revised sketch to see if I understood the placement correctly. I guess it seems to me like it would be difficult to access it - almost seems easier to disconnect the trap in case I needed to clear the drain - but I guess code is code. I don't suppose placing it further down the line (between the floor and the 4x4x2 fitting) would suffice?

3. Regarding the connection to the cast iron - I could go with Mission-type connector or I believe the Fernco equivalent is the Pro-Flex. Correct?

Thanks again for your time and sharing your knowledge -- I have done my share of plumbing work in the past and like to think I understand the fundamentals, but this is the first time I will be dealing inspections and I want to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible -- and even more then that I want to do a job I can be proud of.

Attachments

• KitchenWastePlanRevised.jpg
    KitchenWastePlanRevised.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 670
Last edited by a moderator:

MG

Reaction score
1. Combo fitting - this is essentially a long sweep 4x4x2 correct. If I can't find that fitting I can use a 4x4x2 wye with a street 45 to get the same result correct?

Either one - just as long as its not a 4" x 4" x 2" Sanitary Tee on its' back. It's pretty easy to tell the difference.

3. Regarding the connection to the cast iron - I could go with Mission-type connector or I believe the Fernco equivalent is the Pro-Flex. Correct?

Not sure on the names but whatever brand you get must be the no-hub type with the metal reinforcing band - NOT the thicker rubber one w/just the clamps. As for cutting that cast iron - if its in good condition and you have access to it, a snap cutter probably will do the job. If its questionable you might consider a reciprocating saw w/metal blades. Takes a bit longer but you get a smooth cut and the risk of cracking the pipe is less.

Your drawings are well done - much better than the stuff I put together!

Last edited by a moderator:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
does code require me to have a clean-out on that sink line? Or are you just recommending it? I'd rather not have another hole coming out of the wall/through the cabinet so I would prefer to put it on the stub-out as you suggested - would you mind looking at the revised sketch to see if I understood the placement correctly. I guess it seems to me like it would be difficult to access it - almost seems easier to disconnect the trap in case I needed to clear the drain - but I guess code is code. I don't suppose placing it further down the line (between the floor and the 4x4x2 fitting) would suffice?

Depending on your local code and inspectors, it may or may not be required...
Here, according to the head of the plumbing code division in PHX, if there is a cleanout serving the horizontal line the sink feeds into, an additional one in the vertical drain is not required... (UPC states that all horizontal drains serving sinks shall have cleanouts...)

fineline

Design/Build
Reaction score
thanks MG -- I find that taking the time to draw it out saves me a huge amount of time, both when shopping for the parts I need and doing the actual work. I think I'm going to make the effort to get the clean-out in there -- I need the inspection to go as smoothly as possible so I think its worth it. Markts, would you just mind commenting if the location and orientation of the clean out on the second sketch is correct.

Thanks again for your help -- keep your eyes out for my bathroom plan too, that will be getting done around the same time and would love your feedback. I'll be sure to post some photos of the finished rough in, maybe they'll be helpful to others out there.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Looks good - but don't bring it directly off the top of the pipe...
Roll the Y on a 45 so you can use it without removing the trap...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A wye and a street 45 will make a combo fitting.
Or you can use a regular 45 and however long a section of pipe you need to use with a wye.

A cleanout is needed on kitchen sinks. Most plumbers put them below the santee that is used for the trap arm. Above is okay too.

Shield couplings are good to go, that means a metal sheathing around the rubber part.

proflex.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks