reversed water heater attachments/dip tube

Users who are viewing this thread

dlthomas

Reaction score
First, Thank you all for your advice on my previous post.

When I recently went to replace a leaking line going into my gas water heater, I made an AMAZING discovery:

My water heater (which has been on and working fine since at least 1994)
is hooked up BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!

The incoming cold water is hooked up to the port labled "hot" on the heater top.

Should I leave it alone or switch the connections? How has it worked all this time improperly installed? ANY COMMENTS??

What does the dip tube in the heater do? Thank you!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The dip tube carries incoming fresh ( cold ) water to the bottom of the tank, to be heated, and not mix any more than necessary with the already heated water.

The way you are hooked up may have been done out of necessity, and as long as they moved the dip tube to the side with the incoming water, the unit doesn't know which connector on the top is label H and which C.

If they did NOT move the dip tube, you would have symptoms of very short availability of hot water.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The dip tube is flared on the top end and the tube is just suspended in the hole by that flare. Why it would have been reversed is something that probably can't be determined, but as Jimbo points out, the heater doesn't know the difference. There would be no point in changing it around now.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
reversed

The only thing that has to be done to reverse the heater properly, is to relocate the dip tube and install the shutoff valve on the left hand, or "hot" side, of the heater.

dlthomas

Reaction score
THANK YOU! The guy at Home Depot couldn't tell me whet the dip tube was for!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That is why he works there and that is why he shouldn't work there...

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Better than giving a wrong answer. The first result in google explains it pretty well.

For sure. I wish I would get that more often when someone doesn't know. I just don't ask them anymore (unless I know them and their capabilities).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks