Reusing wax ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

kozak

Reaction score
So basically I had a very bad clog in my toilet, the plunger and the plumbers snake both failed to resolve the issue and I was forced to lift the toilet and attempt to clear it from the other end. I succeeded in clearing the clog and put the toilet back in its place. However since this was the first time I have done this I had no idea that the wax ring generally needs to be changed after lifting the toilet, so of course i never replaced it. Now although everything seems to be working fine and I see neither leaks nor dampness around the toilet, and I don't really want to buy a wax ring and lift it again in fear that I will screw up the installation and create a leak where there is not one now. On the other hand I don't want any secret leaks to create issues for my neighbors downstairs.

So I guess I am wondering if it is possible for a toilet to be leaking around the wax ring without any noticeable moisture around the toilet, and if so how likely is such a scenario?

Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because the horn on the outlet of the toilet is usually a fair amount smaller than the ID of the toilet flange, unless there's a clog, it just acts like a funnel, and you may never notice a water leak until the line clogs again. BUT, because the trap of a toilet is internal to the toilet, it CAN leak sewer gasses. So, yes, you should buy a new wax ring. Now, to complicate things a little, there are a few reusable toilet seals - from a closed-cell foam ring to funnels with O-rings that could be used and reused. Wax is a lot cheaper, and works well, but only once!

kozak

Reaction score
Because the horn on the outlet of the toilet is usually a fair amount smaller than the ID of the toilet flange, unless there's a clog, it just acts like a funnel, and you may never notice a water leak until the line clogs again. BUT, because the trap of a toilet is internal to the toilet, it CAN leak sewer gasses. So, yes, you should buy a new wax ring. Now, to complicate things a little, there are a few reusable toilet seals - from a closed-cell foam ring to funnels with O-rings that could be used and reused. Wax is a lot cheaper, and works well, but only once!

I see, so unless there is a clog and I see water leaking, I can reasonably assume that I am not "drowning" my neighbors, but I can expect some odor. I kind of figured that replacement is likely inevitable but would it be safer to say that its not urgent?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Personally, it would bother me enough that I would just pull the toilet and fix it. Having recently done an install, your skills are still fresh, and I'm sure you could knock it out pretty quickly...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks