Reusing Pex Pipe after push-fit water heater connector was already on

Users who are viewing this thread

CrazyEights

Reaction score
Hi there,
first time poster, long time reader.
I have what probably sounds like a basic question (and probably is) but i am wondering if pex pipe can be reused (the same end) after a push fit connection (like a SS braided water heater connector) was on it previously.

My SS braided water connection with ball valve started to leak (not where the pushfit connection, but where the plastic washer meets the brass valve and braided hose). Now I would like to fit a corrugated SS one, but can;t find any supplier that has this, and thats a separate story.

Is there any prep i would need to do to be able to reuse the same end of pex pipe? or would i have to trim it back to be able to reuse it? don't have much slack and i'm wonder if i can purchase another push fit (SS corrugated hopefully i can find), disconnect the old one, and push the new one on.

Any feedback is always appreciated.
Thanks
c8

CrazyEights

Reaction score
the flex connector currently on is a 3/4 x 3/4 SS braided connector.
Attached is a photo for some context.

Attachments

• IMG_5665.jpg
    IMG_5665.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 494

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I would be inclined to bring the 3/4 PEX to a drop-ear valve in the upper right of your photo.
vpp034-de-lf-02.jpg

Then you could the out put of that to a
bpf8003-01.jpg
drop ear elbow. Put a 3/4 brass nipple in that, and http://falconstainless.com/product/...h-3402-34-i-d-water-heatersoftener-connector/ on the nipple.

http://falconstainless.com/product/34-push-to-connect-ball-valve-with-a-connector/ is what you were looking for. That would be simpler.

There is certainly a lot of PEX that you could cut back. There is no needed to bring the PEX that low, since you have 18 inches of flex before you hit the WH. I would not want to use the same area that the previous push-on had grabbed for a new connection.

Here is another idea: PEX ball valve with FNPT output.
bv034tx-02.jpg
Put a brass nipple into that, and clamp it. Then attach a corrugated connector to the nipple.

You can get the tools to attach a crimp or clamp to connect PEX to a fitting pretty easily.

Last edited:

CrazyEights

Reaction score
Ah these are good ideas and thanks for answering whether to reuse the same end side for the connection. Would you end up using teflon tape as well around the threads between the connections of the brass nipples in either option?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would use both PTFE tape and pipe dope on the nipple end screwed into the brass fitting. Using either should be sufficient, but using both is even better.

On the the end with the corrugated connector, I would lightly lubricate the rubber gasket with silicone grease, and maybe a very little grease on the threads. I am not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks