Retention Tank Vacuum Relief

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by asmart82, May 2, 2016.

1. asmart82

asmart82 New Member

What should I do to stop my retention tank from collapsing when I drain it or if there is no pressure from my pump but water is coming out due to gravity?

I have tried to find a vacuum breaker for PVC but everything I find looks strange to me so I am not sure what to get or how it works.

2. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Take a look at Watts LFN36-M1

5. asmart82

asmart82 New Member

Awesome, I did see that actually. My question now is, can brass thread directly into PVC with no issues?

6. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

Yes it is fine

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Do not over-torque. Probably no wrench needed. I would use pipe dope or teflon tape.

When over-torquing into a schedule 40 female thread, you could split it.

8. asmart82

asmart82 New Member

Attached Files:

9. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    A pressure relief valve is not going to let air in the tank. Just put a tee in the line to the top of the tank. On that tee put a check valve with the arrow pointing towards the retention tank. The check valve in this direction will not let water out, but will let air in when under vacuum.

10. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Retired
    I'd use a footvalve rather than a checkvalve. They do the same thing but the footvalve has an inlet screen to keep stuff out.

Also, a some checkvalves rely on gravity to close. Make sure the valve is a spring loaded type.

11. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Good points. The screen on a footvalve is also not small enough to keep the bugs out. Probably should wrap a window screen over the foot valve or inlet to a check valve.

12. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Is that a Clack RT120? Then one connection on top is labeled "Upflow Inlet", and that is connected to the dip tube. That I think is where the vacuum breaker is. The other port is the output, and is labeled "Downflow Inlet". I am trying to think if there would be an advantage to connecting the vacuum breaker to one port or the other, but I can't figure a significant advantage.

Are you referring to opening the blow down port to drain sediment away? That would normally be done with the tank under pressure, with the pump kicking on as the pressure dropped.

If you were draining it empty with the pump off, the vacuum breaker should let the air in. I see the price of vacuum breakers increases quickly with size. Still, I would think that your 3/4 vacuum breaker should be able to admit air as quickly as you could drain water out. I don't know what causes your problem, unless your vacuum breaker is defective. Did you suck on it to see if it admitted air?

You need to protect those unpainted tanks, softener controller, and the PVC pipe from UV with a cover or paint.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  13. Eduardo Correa

Eduardo Correa New Member

Would anyone have a diagram or photo of a properly installed vacuum breaker on the top of a retention tank?

14. MrTelco1948

MrTelco1948 New Member

Saw a setup that had a drain valve after the tank output on top that was opened when filling tank and also opened when draining tank through the blowdown valve at bottom of tank. Tank was isolated with ball valves that served as a bypass when draining tank.