Resin in drain line during recharge

Users who are viewing this thread

eee

Reaction score
Hi, newbie on the forum. learned a few things already. Thanks for the advise from everyone! Used search and 2 results came back, not exactly the situation I have. I bought the system from Gary, a DIY guy 10+years ago, and installed it myself. Looks like he is retired from what the website said. So the question...

I have a Clack WS1 and it is working well. In the recent regen cycle, there is resin coming out of the drain line, about 1 to 2 cups worth sitting in my garage sink.

Does this mean something is broken? A filter, top or bottom basket? I also read about the pipe online. 'googled' and not a whole lot came back. It did lead me to this forum. Yay!

Any thoughts about what might be the issue?

Thanks, eee

Reach4

Reaction score
As you face the front of the controller, which side of the controller does the unsoftened supply water come in on?

eee

Reaction score
As you face the front of the controller, which side of the controller does the unsoftened supply water come in on?

hi Reach4,

Unsoftened water comes in on the right, softened out on the left. it is a Clack WS, i think it is a 1.5 version.

Reach4

Reaction score
Unsoftened water comes in on the right, softened out on the left. it is a Clack WS, i think it is a 1.5 version.
Unfortunately that is the way it should be. o_O

Does this mean something is broken? A filter, top or bottom basket?
Bottom basket failed probably. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-fleck-5600sxt-resin-in-water.72548/#post-535238 Is that city water? If so, maybe after 10 years you could replace the resin. Chlorine is hard on resin. Use 10% crosslinked resin if you do so. I am not a pro.

eee

Reaction score
Thx, Reach. Yep , city water. Prob highly chlorinated as it is half mountain half ground. I'll order up a basket and some resin an give it a go.

eee

Reaction score
Forgot to ask...

Recommendations on any particular store/ website to order from?

Researched and looks like I need 1) resin, 2) gravel, 3) top and bottom baskets. If I can only find my filler and softner wrench now.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since you indicate the resin was found in the sink where the drain line discharges and not in faucet aerators, that seems to signify the resin is being lost during regeneration, particularly during backwash. Before assuming anything, check for a damaged top screen as it's fairly easy to remove the control valve to inspect.

What is your unit's DLFC (drain flow) rate? If the appropriate drain Flow Restrictor is installed as dependant on the tank diameter, a top screen is not usually needed.

If the resin needs to be replaced, a common symptom is a loss of pressure (flow restriction), particularly if two faucets are running at the same time. If the unit continues to deliver soft water and there is no flow loss, then replacing the resin may not be necessary.

Reach4

Reaction score
Since you indicate the resin was found in the sink where the drain line discharges and not in faucet aerators, that seems to signify the resin is being lost during regeneration, particularly during backwash. Before assuming anything, check for a damaged top screen as it's fairly easy to remove the control valve to inspect.
Good observations. I was not thinking clearly. The bottom basket is pushing water during backwash. Your idea that the DLFC has maybe failed and is lifting the resin higher now makes sense. I guess it would be very unlikely that the backwash water somehow got a lot colder than it has been in the past, and is therefore lifting the resin more.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I guess it would be very unlikely that the backwash water somehow got a lot colder than it has been in the past, and is therefore lifting the resin more.
What might have been happening is that there was air moving forward into the water stream and the air/water mix generates a boiling like action that has more lift. Perhaps there is no top basket? Neither my softener nor my iron filter have a top basket and I have lost media from my iron filter to the drain due to air.

The mystery might be how air could get into the supply. Perhaps there was work done on the city mains? Whenever there is air getting into the supply during normal use, it will just collect above the media and get expelled during the next regen. Unless there are huge amounts or air capable of completely displacing all the water in the media tank, the air would never spit out the faucets.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your idea that the DLFC has maybe failed and is lifting the resin higher now makes sense.
Not necessarily a failed DLFC but if the installed DLFC is too large, thereby relying on the top screen to prevent resin loss for 10+ years, then failure of the top screen would result in sudden resin loss.

LLigetfa's comment is correct as a bolus of air introduced during backwash, could carry of quantity of resin toward the drain port, particularly if there is no top screen.

The discharge of resin could also be indicative of defective resin as long term exposure to chlorine can expand the resin granules much larger than they should be, thereby filling (or overfilling) the freeboard space.

Reach4

Reaction score
LLigetfa's comment is correct as a bolus of air introduced during backwash, could carry of quantity of resin toward the drain port, particularly if there is no top screen.
I think he is saying that the air could have accumulated over a fairly extended interval since the last backwash, since the water gets drawn out through the bottom when in service. If you are saying that the air would all exit in a big rush through the DLFC, letting water rise abnormally quickly and carry resin, as the backwash starts, then we all agree.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The discharge of resin could also be indicative of defective resin as long term exposure to chlorine can expand the resin granules much larger than they should be, thereby filling (or overfilling) the freeboard space.
Long term exposure to chlorine can also cause the resin to fracture and the smaller particles could fit through or plug the top screen.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Many Clack valves have a second backwash so if the aircheck in the brine tank leaks (allows the system to draw air) the air will be purged during the second backwash cycle. This can cause a failure of the top screen. A missing DLFC button or "forgotten during assembly" or wrong sized button can also cause excessive flow to the drain during regeneration. Unusually cold water (denser) can also cause the resin to hit the top screen and cause a failure.

eee

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback!

Did more reading. Thought to flush our all faucets/ lines in case any resin beads found there way into the system. Found that with the softener on, water flow slowed to a crawl with 3 faucets on. Bypassed softener unit, water flowed fine. Looks like back to the original idea of top/ bottom baskets and new resin.

eee

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks