Residential water well bore diameter, what is typical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin_Meyers

Reaction score
My neighbor is thinking of getting his well deepened, I believe to 400ft from 200ft. His well is 6" diameter. What is the disadvantage of using a larger diameter bore besides costs? I would think the extra storage capacity would be a very nice benefit. Is it unheard of to use larger diameter bore sized for a typical residential well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
4" to 6" is common. Besides being much more expensive, larger casing usually has larger slots, which won't screen out the sand as needed for residential applications. In California most people have a cistern anyway for fire code reasons, extra storage in the well is probably not worth the expense. Many cased wells cannot be deepened. If they can go deeper it will probably be by using a smaller hole and smaller casing and work instead the existing casing.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Around here they use 6 inch steel casing down to the bedrock. If not into bedrock, they drill down through the 6 inch to deepen, they then step down to smaller casing. We are in the Precambrian Shield which is igneous rock and as such does not need to be cased.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks