Residential Boiler Piping Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Hockey Nut

Reaction score
Just after the back-flow preventer, there is a piping loop with a pressure reducing regulator that connects directly to the pressure tank.

Should both shut off valves be open? The top shut off valve (yellow arrow) is closed and I haven't been able to find any info on why it should be open or closed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Boiler.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It is a bypass valve for the PRR. Not sure why it is there. Always keep it closed.

Last edited:

Hockey Nut

Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the input. It's a little confusing (I'm no plumber :)) the installation manual (Prestige Solo 110) does not show this loop installation, but newer versions of this boiler model do... Maybe there was a retrofit done in the past to the piping, I'll have to look into that.

Valve closed!

Pics attached for reference.
Original.jpg

New Model.jpg
* I see the open valve position in this diagram... that's where it all started ;)

Reaction score
It's probably there just to help purge the system of air the system of air. But it's not really needed, and potentially a risk to over pressurise the system and cause the safety relief to open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks