Reseating drain flange is leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Mittenstate

Reaction score
I am trying to reseat a drain flange in a fiberglass tub with PVC pipes. I replaced two gaskets with a standard gasket purchased from Home Depot, slipping it between the tub and the drain shoe. I used plumbers putty around the underside of the drain flange. I cleaned the threads on the flange before replacing it.

After running the tub, it is leaking a small amount of water on the ceiling below. Unfortunately there is not an entry point to see the location of the leak.

One oddity is that the drain flange refuses to seat flatly and instead tilts towards one direction slightly.

Do you have any recommendations for troubleshooting?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't use putty between the tub and the drain shoe. You can use putty under the drain flange. Sometimes fiberglass is a tough one to seal. I've been seeing some instructions that mention Silicone in addition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks