Rerouting waste line under basement floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopatroopa

Reaction score
1920s house with cast iron drain pipes. I need to replace a sewer line under the basement floor that I have been told has belly in it (had a plumber snake and then camera it when it backed up a second time). Nothing else ties directly into this line as the backup only affects one thing (an upstairs toilet).

The issue is this line goes from vertical to horizontal (underground) in the unfinished side of my basement, travels under a wall and ties into the main line in a finished area of the basement. Instead of digging up the entire line and dealing with tearing up the finished side, my thought was to dig up the initial section of pipe in the unfinished side, cut and cap that line off, then reroute to pipe so it ties into a 4" main line that has already been replaced with PVC in the unfinished area. This would not only avoid digging up pipe in the finished side of my basement, but it would require about half as long of a trench.

Any issues with capping the old pipe? It would still be connected to the main line, but unless something gets backed up then sewage should never enter the pipe again.

Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1920s house with cast iron drain pipes. I need to replace a sewer line under the basement floor that I have been told has belly in it (had a plumber snake and then camera it when it backed up a second time). Nothing else ties directly into this line as the backup only affects one thing (an upstairs toilet).

The issue is this line goes from vertical to horizontal (underground) in the unfinished side of my basement, travels under a wall and ties into the main line in a finished area of the basement. Instead of digging up the entire line and dealing with tearing up the finished side, my thought was to dig up the initial section of pipe in the unfinished side, cut and cap that line off, then reroute to pipe so it ties into a 4" main line that has already been replaced with PVC in the unfinished area. This would not only avoid digging up pipe in the finished side of my basement, but it would require about half as long of a trench.

Any issues with capping the old pipe? It would still be connected to the main line, but unless something gets backed up then sewage should never enter the pipe again.

Thanks!

why dig it up and cap it there? just dig up your new tie in location and abandon the upstream section just put a 90 coming up the part up stream won't be connected its just abandoned

Coopatroopa

Reaction score
why dig it up and cap it there? just dig up your new tie in location and abandon the upstream section just put a 90 coming up the part up stream wont be connected its just abandoned

I plan to leave the original vertical pipe and tie into that. In doing so I will expose the connection to the horizontal pipe under ground so I figured I might as well cap it off. Just trying to make sure I’m not overlooking why abandoning and capping off the original pipe underground would be a bad plan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks