Rerouting tub drain or raising tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryanm35

Reaction score
I have an old house built in 1880. Just recently removed the old cast iron tub. I’m a first timer.

The new tub drain will line up exactly center on a joist that was already notched for the previous drain.

The new tub doesn’t have enough room for the drain shoe, I need about 2.5inches of clearance under tub to fit existing

I need advice. As I see it I have three options:

1. Cut a hole in my living room ceiling to access joist, Completely cut joist out and box it.

2. Raise tub up with platform.

3. Have tub drain go to a sideways T connected to to meet the existing P trap . I could run some 45s up to the overflow. Is this even legal or acceptable?

The room is very unlevel. I planned on setting tub in mortar but the non drain side is about 1.5 inches lower on far end of the alcove.

Thanks!

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I ran the tee sideways a couple times. But only when I had no choice. I've street 45 out of the tee to causing minimum notching. From what I heard cutting a joist completely and boxing it does nothing to regain support

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm for #3, I think. Don't understand the "sideways tee" thing, but if you notch the joist and rotate the shoe, then 45 your way up to the overflow, then that would work. Forget the trip lever option and use a lift and turn or a toe-tapper.
Had one last year that fell on a triple joist because the upper floor was cantilevered out past the wall downstairs. Took a while to work all that out and had to drop the tub into the platform several times and make adjustments each time to get a good match up.

Let me say this right now in front of God and everybody: if your installation exceeds the comprehension capacity and talent level of the inspector, you're probably all right. Just make it look good.

Ryanm35

Reaction score
Thanks.

Is it okay if the tub drain does a 90 into the T to meet the overflow, then goes to the trap? I will maintain slope.

By sideways I mean the T will be horizontal.

Might not be straight out of a kit but it will get to the trap.

Pardon my greenness to plumbing. I guess my only worry is the trap siphoning cause I really don’t understand what an S trap is and how it can siphon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks