Reroute first floor toilet drain, reconnect existing 3" stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Imasparky22

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to the forum, have to say its one of the best out there. I'm currently in the middle of my basement remodel and I'm looking for opinions regarding my options. Any help or suggestions that would not violate code would be greatly appreciated.

My problem. How the existing first floor toilet drain is connected to the soil stack and vent stack. The san t that is being used to connect the stacks and toilet drain is tucked up between two joists and as you can see they notched the joist. The vent stack and soil stack are offset and also the clean out causes clearance issues for head room in the basement bathroom.

It would be great if i could eliminate the clean out for the toilet altogether.

Attachments

• IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2275.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,566

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know how that is in Wisconsin, but on the Coast, with UPC code, I would only need the cleanout at the base of the stack.
We stil have them for a kitchen sink.
If the 1" copper wasn't in the way, the toilet could have come down there, and a wye could have been used to vent it. With wet venting, as long as the lav was run in 2", that would suffice for venting the toilet. That is assuming you didn't need that 3" for the vent through the roof, as perhaps you also have other vents through to make up a composite amount of area for venting.
The toilet drain on it's way down, will need either a long turn 90 coming down from the existing santee, or if you drop it straight down, perhaps some 45's.

Imasparky22

Reaction score
Sadly the 3" is the vent through the roof. If I were to run the toilet straight down to a 45 elbow and connect to a 3" wye fitting that would be in the soil stack, then use the vertical hub in the wye fitting to connect to the vent stack. Would that be a bad option? The toilet would be the highest fixture to drain into the soil stack. The first floor lav, sink and tub/shower have their own vents connected to the vent stack 42" above first floor.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
. If I were to run the toilet straight down to a 45 elbow and connect to a 3" wye fitting that would be in the soil stack, then use the vertical hub in the wye fitting to connect to the vent stack. Would that be a bad option?

That should work. The toilet is the only fixture you can vent like that. It's meant to siphon anyway.

Imasparky22

Reaction score
Thank you, I really appreciate your help and knowledge. I'm looking over the electrical forum to see if there is any way i can pay it forward.

Cheers

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks