Requirements on cleanout

If inspected the plumbing with most likely..

• Fail

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Pass

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Eeeep

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking for some advice on my plumping project. I ran drainage plumbing for my new basement bath this past weekend. I've tried to understand as much of the IRC code as possible before starting. I believe my plumping project as laid out might need another cleanout I don't have a good place for it without cutting more slab and removing my hot water heater (located right above the main drain line to the right of the photo) any comments would be much appreciated. Also could someone point me to the code requirement for clean outs in the IRC (2009) and the change in direction for horizontal plumbing requirements. The project has a 36x36 shower (top right. A toilet bottom right. a wall vent and sink drain bottom middle. main drain flows left to right.
Additional information, all three fixture are vented with in max distances IRC (p3105.1), the 2" drain is sloped >1/4"per foot and the 3" is sloped >1/8 per foot. Ok i've realized that teh 3x3x2 tee should a have been a 3x3x2 wye, I'm going to make that change hopefully I have the clearance.
IMG_1240.JPG

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why are you using Fernco couplings? There are only allowed underground outside the building. Never under concrete or above the floor inside a building.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wrong couplings. Should be metal wrapped to prevent shifting.
Wrong fitting for shower off of 3"

Wrong 90 for shower, should be long turn 90
I would have like to see a 3" cleanout at the wall for the lav, which would have worked as a cleanout.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is done the DIY way. Go so far, then put in a fitting, then a piece of pipe and another fitting. If it still doesn't fit, then another pipe and fitting. Repeat until it is done. Anyone can be a plumber if he has enough pipe and fittings.

Eeeep

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to make some changes to the fittings so they are complaint with the IRC Table p3005.1. I've changed the flexible coupling to coupling with a metal sleeve over the rubber material. Also going to add a 2" cleanout at the base of the vent line. Additional comments would be much appreciated. I've edited the photo I originally provided to reflect my proposed changes, see if I've improved the drainage over the original layout. Thank you for your comments.
update-001.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Given the shortness of the sink drain, a cleanout, while potentially useful, may not be needed. The long tub drain is what could need the cleanout. The new layout is much better, even if not ideal.

Eeeep

Reaction score
Given the shortness of the sink drain, a cleanout, while potentially useful, may not be needed. The long tub drain is what could need the cleanout. The new layout is much better, even if not ideal.
Thanks for all the comments on the plumbing layout. It was a great leaning experience for me! I pressure tested with 4' of head, couldn't do any more due to other plumbing fixture, no leaks and we held for 20min. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks