Replumbing House - Uponor Type A Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Freddie780

Reaction score
I am replacing all the Zurn Pex Type B plumbing in my home as I just experienced my fourth failure in about 90-days. This time it was on the run that goes to the upstairs an may have warped the hardwood floors in my master closet. Question?

I saw a video indicating you cannot affix a recirc system for hot water on Uponor Type A as the combination of heat and chlorine will eat it alive in 3-4 years. Is this correct? This guy says that at the 4:22 mark. He also is using expansion on PEX B. I did not think this was possible?

Anyhow, I only want to make the repair once and be certain that removing the Zurn B and replacing Uponor A is the best move to make.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have no specific information, other than to observe that an on-demand recirculation system should not impose any greater volume of flows than you'd have without one. And on-demand is preferred from an energy efficiency point of view.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I have no specific information, other than to observe that an on-demand recirculation system should not impose any greater volume of flows than you'd have without one. And on-demand is preferred from an energy efficiency point of view.
I think on-demand recirculation might use a higher rate of flow (gpm) typically to reduce wait time, but recirculation water will be flowing a much smaller percent of the time.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think on-demand recirculation might use a higher rate of flow (gpm) typically to reduce wait time,
Agreed, that's why I said volume of flow, rather than rate of flow. The increased rate of flow for a shorter period of time could possibly have a comparatively detrimental effect.. So it would make sense to look at the flow rate of the pump component and ensure that the resulting flow velocities do not exceed the manufacturer's allowable flow velocity.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good to know - comments on the Recirc on Uponor Type A?
Take another look its bulletin on typ "B".
I'm very interested in why the failure of your current PEX? Also if any help from manufacture or homeowners insurance. I've heard that insurance will sometimes give compensation because you've had 4 failures if that equated to 4 insurance claims in 90 days they'd surely like to put end to those claims.
Did you consider copper to repipe with ? Type L copper still tops in my book.
As for using PEX on circ lines I guess at the very least check the manufacture specs beside a YouTube post might not be true just because its on you tube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks