Replacing water softener hookup and possible new filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Coffman

Being brighter
Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance to all. I recently purchased a house. It's on a well with a pretty large water softener. The supply side is leaking ever so slightly where it looks like 3/4" pex attaches to the 1" supply (photo attached). The current attachment looks like some sort of plastic male connector that reduces to the pex. Can I just replace this with a sharkbite 1" male to 3/4" push-to-connect? Like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-3-4-in-Push-to-Connect-x-1-in-MIP-Brass-Adapter-Fitting-U139LFA/204231497

My plan would be to preserve the existing pex but also would welcome advice.

Second, the well goes direct to the softener. Should I have a sediment filter of some sort between? We had a new washing machine intake fail and the repairman said it was due to sediment from the hot water building up and clogging the intake.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• D8E49153-B5F8-4080-9456-273BE68B67FB.jpeg
    D8E49153-B5F8-4080-9456-273BE68B67FB.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 152

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Between the pump and softener should be the pressure tank then the softener. A spin down filter before the pressure tank would not hurt. Having sediment plug up the hot water valve on the washing machine may indicate the water heater needs to be flushed or replaced. As far as PEX, this is why I'm not crazy over it but it is used everywhere now. If you stay with PEX replace the sections where the leak is and use push and fit type couplings such as Sharkbite. There are dozens of different configurations on one end for threaded, glue joints and different pipe types. With the clamp type you'll need to buy the tool and clamps and as you see they can fail.

Other checks is to remove the faucet aerators and clean them if loaded up with sediments. If you have a gas water heater, they build up sediments faster than an electric. If it's over ten years old or you hear gurgling while the flame is on, it has sediment build up. Flushing may help but only if the sediment is lose.

Matt Coffman

Being brighter
Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you for this. I will look into a spin down filter. Is this a DIY job or something I should hire out?

Best! Matt

Between the pump and softener should be the pressure tank then the softener. A spin down filter before the pressure tank would not hurt. Having sediment plug up the hot water valve on the washing machine may indicate the water heater needs to be flushed or replaced. As far as PEX, this is why I'm not crazy over it but it is used everywhere now. If you stay with PEX replace the sections where the leak is and use push and fit type couplings such as Sharkbite. There are dozens of different configurations on one end for threaded, glue joints and different pipe types. With the clamp type you'll need to buy the tool and clamps and as you see they can fail.

Other checks is to remove the faucet aerators and clean them if loaded up with sediments. If you have a gas water heater, they build up sediments faster than an electric. If it's over ten years old or you hear gurgling while the flame is on, it has sediment build up. Flushing may help but only if the sediment is lose.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's no more than adding any other kind of filter and it's used if your well water has a lot of sediment. If you have a valve or spigot before the water softener, run some water in a clean pail. If it is clear then you probably do not need one. Since the guy that fixed the washer suggest it is the water heater, go with that as the first problem. The washer cold water valve would also would have been plugged if the sediment is from the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks