Replacing water from meter to house, fitting questions

Users who are viewing this thread

wallbobby

Reaction score
I have a leak in my 70 year old 3/4 galvanized supply that is getting worse and have to replace it asap.
- It is 8 feet deep so I am abandoning the galvanized and putting in new 1" pex at code depth which in my region is 2 feet (actually 18" in my city).
- my city uses meter setters, I dug down hoping the leak was there but no dice.
- I'm using PEX-A with expansion fittings.

My question (pics attached) is the easiest way to connect to the horn of the setter. My current plan:
- 1 inch FIP to 3/4 Meter tail onto the horn: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-Water-Meter-Adapter-Fitting-801829/300096110
- 3/4 to 3/4 brass coupling - for some reason every coupling I've found says "not for underground"
- 3/4 to 1 inch pex expansion fitting : https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-...MNPT-Reducing-Male-Adapter-EPXMA134/302741298

then off we go. Am I missing something? Because I haven't undone the fitting on the horn I am not certain what it is. Learning about water meter connections, setters, etc has been a bit of a ride.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 2_LI.jpg
    2_LI.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

wallbobby

Reaction score
Huh, I had seen those, I think I've heard them called corporation stops before but hadn't used one. I was just unsure if the OD (1 1/4) was bigger than what I had. I'll give those guys at utility a call - looks like they make one with a PEX head too.

wallbobby

Reaction score
Surprise the city doesn't want to set the meter and maybe a new one.
The meter's not getting touched - it's just the connection at the bottom of the setter. But the city's closed for everything but emergencies anyway. No new permits and all offices closed.

wallbobby

Reaction score
Mark at Utility helped me a ton more. Still not certain what the connection is but it might just be a regular meter tail. More pics
4.jpg
5.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will probably find that the end of the brass is a 3/4" male thread which will require a coupling to add pipe to.
With a 3/4"coupling, or you could pick up a reducing coupling 1" x 3/4" and that would give you something to run your PEX fitting to.
Brass, no more galvanized steel there to replace later.

wallbobby

Reaction score
Thanks Terry and James. So is it probably just an unknown until I get it off if it's a meter thread or a regular thread (they are different, right?)? I should go buy a meter tail, but also get a 3/4 coupling and a 1" reducing coupling, and maybe don't need the meter tail? Or do I even need a reducer and just get a 1" coupling and go into this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-...rb-x-1-in-MNPT-Male-Adapter-EPXMA11/302741305

I guess I will try to measure the OD of the threads. And also buy every possible size.

wallbobby

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, that looks good, I haven't used one. At Utility they said no way would you use compression with PEX but I know you're right - Ford has a video about how to do it. Is 3/4 the right CTS size for 1 inch PEX?

I would go with the one without the valve as it serves no point on my side, it will be 3 feet underground and I'll have the main shut off for the house accessible where it enters the house. There's already a valve on the city side next to the meter that is exposed.

Last edited:

wallbobby

Reaction score
I completed this yesterday - ended up just using a 3/4 meter tail as that's what was there originally. The one that's there came apart easily and the rest of the install was hard, but got it done. I noticed when I was down there that the city side which has the same connection - a meter tail, was very slightly loose and is leaking a minuscule amount - like maybe a cup or less a day. I was tempted to just tighten it slightly but I guess I should just leave it alone or call them and tell them I noticed the leak.

wallbobby

Reaction score
I called the city about the leak and they sent somebody out today. She shrugged and removed the whole setter, replaced my rubber washer with a copper one and redid the whole connection. Would have taken me hours of grunting but she was appreciative and surprised that I'd dug the whole thing out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks