Replacing utility sink drain pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Our washer drains into our downstairs utility sink bowl and the other day it got clogged up. I tried running some Drano and hot water down it to see if it would fix the problem, it didn't. I couldn't really get a snake down into the drain so I decided to try and take the pipes off underneath. I ended up breaking them in the process of trying to get them apart. I'm currently stuck trying to get the galzanized drain pipe unthreaded from the cast iron that comes out of the basement floor. After I get it apart I would like to replace with PVC and hook up the washer so it drains right to the drain pipe and not into the sink bowl. Any tips on how to get them loose? I've already tried pb blaster and applying heat.

Attachments

• 15965633258843306103135551639076.jpg
    15965633258843306103135551639076.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 137

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks to be a 2" cast iron hub in the ground.

washer-galv-abs-2.jpg

I like to remove the pipe and lead, clean out the hub and use a rubber donut and new 2" pipe for that.

washer-galv-abs-3.jpg

I don't know how your drain was vented, normally the venting goes up through the roof. That's the gray galvanized pipe in this picture.

Reaction score
That looks to be a 2" cast iron hub in the ground.

washer-galv-abs-2.jpg

I like to remove the pipe and lead, clean out the hub and use a rubber donut and new 2" pipe for that.

washer-galv-abs-3.jpg

I don't know how your drain was vented, normally the venting goes up through the roof. That's the gray galvanized pipe in this picture.
Do I just need to get the cast iron nipple off the top and the pipe will pull right out? How would I go about doing that?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The galvanized pipe going into the lead? The lead can be drilled and then pried out with a flat blade screwdriver.

I use a donut like this.

fernco-donut.jpg

fernco-donut-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks