Replacing Trim and using old Moen Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

jcm533

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to replace the tub trim and install a new shower head in my bathroom. I currently have a moen installed (older model, round knob) Can I just install the trim and not the valve as long as I get another Moen trim set? I have my wall already torn apart for new tile and the valve looks like it is threading into the old one. So if the old valve still works fine and I get another Moen set can i just forget about installing the valve? How hard is it to install a valve if it has threads and i don't need to sodder anything?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just replaced my Delta shower control. I had little choice on replacing the entire unit as Delta no longer makes the trim like I had and the old valve would not match the new trim. I actually had decided to go the whole route before going to the plumbing shop, so their advice just reinforced what I had already planned. What I did to insure I did not damage the valve with heat was to use female adapters that I had soldered nipples to before hand. Other than the hassle of working in a tight space, the job was pretty straight forward. If this was my job, I'd go with new all the way. It will be good for the next 20+ years.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the age of the existing valve, it probably does not meet current codes, so for resale and safety sake (plus, the inspector may require it) - you should replace it with a pressure balanced valve or a thermostatically controlled valve that meets the current anti-scald regulations. Then, you get to choose the trim you want on the new valve.

psolutions

Reaction score
I would just replace the valve. It is simple enough for you to change out a valve and if your very handy can do it yourself, but you may need a plumber.

I prefer the Delta universal valves for this reason. Put in the valve and the trim options are quite nice and easy to interchange.

Something else to consider is adding shutoffs to the valve either under the house or behind an access panel while your at it.

Take the time while your doing this to make sure your shower Ell is very secure.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If your wall is open, then this falls into the "remodel" category, and your inspector would not accept the old valve, since it apparently is not pressure balanced ( you just pull it out to turn on?).

In any event, why would you put a new 30 year tile job over a valve which only has 10 to 15 yrs life expectancy left?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I concur with the suggestion of the universal Delta. I would further suggest you not get your valve (any make) at a box store. The plumbing products stocked by them often are "special" models not available to professional plumber shops. This means they are made with cheap materials and do not have the quality of those sold in the pro shops. FYI, the universal valve is common to all. It is the trim packages that offer added features.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks