Replacing toilet advice needed from the experts

Users who are viewing this thread

kne5017894

Reaction score
Hi Terry & all,
First, thanks for this great resource, I have referred several design people to your site as a good informative source about toilets. Glad to have found you.

I am replacing a 21 year old Porcher Veneto and am thinking since the new ones are 12" rough-ins, this was also. Is there a way to tell before I order the new one? The new ones are 12", but since I purchased mine, they were bought by AS and who knows who or where they are made now. Is the 10" rough- in a new thing?

Also, I am going to replace it with the Toto Drake elongated ADA(I'm not getting any younger, you know?). I don't want to spend the $$ for the Ultramax and am reading good things about the Drake. I have someone nearby who offers feee shipping in atlanta, so I will order from them. This toilet will be used by 2 average size adults.

I will be installing myself, bc I did the Porcher and have done some home plumbing projects through the years with success.

Do you all think the Drake is a good choice or would you recommend another model?

I appreciate your input.
Kyle

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
10" rough in toilets are not new. Choices of models is somewhat limited, but they are made. There are also 14" rough in toilets. 12" are the norm. It gets interesting if you actually measure the toilets. Few, if any, 12" toilets really require 12". I have 2 Toto toilets, a Drake and a Dartmouth, my rough ins are exactly 12", but both toilets have a couple of inches of space behind the tank. As far as the Toto Drake is concerned, it has been a real workhorse and continues to be a top performer. I would recommend the CEFIONTECT option. Your choice of ADA is spot on. You don't have to be a king size person to enjoy the added height. Anytime your butt gets lower than your knees, it takes a great deal more effort to stand. Standard size toilets remind me of taking a dump in the woods except TP instead of leaves. LOL If you are having a toilet shipped, inspect it very carefully upon delivery. Breakage is very common and if you find damage after the truck leaves, too bad. The Drake will be in two cartons, so take the bowl and tank out and examine them. Don't rely on the carton looking good and assume the innards are OK.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto manufacturing plant is in Morrow Georgia; it seems like you could just drive over and pick it up.

The rough-in will be from the wall to the center of the bolts that hold the bowl down. 95% of the time it will be in the 12" range.
The Drake will work with as little as 11"

Both the Drake and the Drake II are good models.
And thanks for the referrals.

kne5017894

Reaction score
Thanks fellows. I think I am settled on the Toto Drake II Elongated 2 Piece Toilet unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I appreciate you thoughts and advice.

Shimmies99

Reaction score
i came to same conclusion after reading this forum checking out the link to the CA map ratings, etc. I had plumber install, including new flange? thingy in the ground since the old was broken. Plus it needed shimming, my floors are really cattywampus. I am so happy about my new potty I'm about to make a picture of it my
profile pic on FB. ha ha

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You certainly can try to get one directly from the factory in Morrow, but don't be surprised if they don't sell to individuals. Has to do with contracts with dealers. Example: Manhasset music stands are probably the largest manufacturer of quality music stands in the world. They are all made 2 miles from my house. Yet, when I want to buy a stand, I must buy from a dealer. Once on a large (larger for me) order, I managed to work with a dealer and pick up the order FOB, but the dealer got the check. Don't know if Toto has the same policy or not, but call first. On second thought, it might be interesting to get a tour of the factory.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many factories are not set up for retail sales and don't want to get involved with things like sales tax, etc. They don't need to if they only sell to resellers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks