Replacing the Ultra-Mix (ultramix) Ceramic Single Lever cartridge how to remove knob??

Users who are viewing this thread

TuckerBechtel

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to replace the UltraMix Ceramic Single Lever Cartridge (advised by American Standard that is was the part). dripping shower heads. But for the love of god I can not figure out how to get the acrylic knob handle off so I can get in there. there are no screws visible and the front of the handle doesn't pop off like the other ones I've seen here is a pic and the spec sheet but I can't find any directions...HELP?

as-ultra-mix.jpg

IMG_3732(1).JPG

Attachments

• shower knob.pdf
    146.8 KB · Views: 429
Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Pry the plastic cap off the center of the knob and there will be a screw under it. Usually there is a small notch on the side of the center cap where you stick a small flat-blade screwdriver tip into to pry/pop the cap off.

TuckerBechtel

Reaction score
it looked like one unit...It didn't look like there was a cap on the center as I anticipated but I will look again and bring a razor blade. maybe it looks fused as one part bc its corroded?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The handle looks like it's fused, but utility knife may be able to remove the screw cover plastic cap.

TuckerBechtel

Reaction score
There is no face plate to pop off. took more pics...

IMG_3753.JPG
IMG_3757.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3755.JPG
    IMG_3755.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_3756.JPG
    IMG_3756.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_3758.JPG
    IMG_3758.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_3759.JPG
    IMG_3759.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 396

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Over time crud builds up and makes the end cap difficult to remove. You need to stick something sharp at the edge to pop out the cap. A box cutter might do it. Here is one similar and the guy has difficult but it comes out:

If you tear it up you can probably get another cap.

index button.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks