Replacing sweated multi-turn angle stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

John Shott

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new home that has 30 year old sweated multi-turn angle stops.

I would like to have them replaced them with high-quality, quarter-turn stops such as the Brasscraft K2
series (brass ball and stem, PTFE seats).

For the highest reliability (I will be away frequently), should I ask for:

a) Sweated valves to the existing 1/2” copper.

b) Compression connection to the de-soldered existing copper (existing stubs are too short to simply cut)

c) Sweat on a 1/2” MIP adapter and then use a threaded stop.

Note: we have hard water, the existing seals on the stops are showing signs of wear, and I don’t think that rebuild kits for these Jameco stops exist.

Thanks for your consideration.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many choices. Since you'll have to unsolder the existing valves, you might as well solder on new ones. But, you do still have choices.

1. Solder on new valves
2. After removing, carefully wipe the stub clean so it is smooth and use a compression valve. Might need a quick sanding first.
3. Solder on an adapter and screw on a new valve

#2-3 have the advantage that, at some later time, you wouldn't need to solder anything again and just need a wrench or two.

If the pipe is dinged up, 1 or 3 shouldn't care...a compression fitting needs a smooth pipe. A uniform, thin coat of solder won't mess it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks