Replacing short section of PVC pipe in hot tub - tight fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

John Prinos

Reaction score
So is there enough movement to get the hubs to 5-3/4" apart? If so, you can just glue up both joints at the same time with a 5-3/4" pipe segment. Mark your pipe to be be sure it's centered in available 6-1/4", rather than 1" in one hub and only 1/2" into the other hub.

Since the old joint leaked, it would be nice to get a longer pipe segment in there than just 5-1/4".

If you can't get enough movement, you may have to just replace a greater length of pipe, so you have more maneuverability.

Cheers, Wayne

So the tighter fit should hopefully mean a lower chance of leaking. My only worry is the large chance I won’t have time (or possibly strength) to twist it before the glue holds.

Thanks Wayne, I’ll play with the dry fit and will see.

John Prinos

Reaction score
Ok Plumbers Without Borders, I think I did it!

I went the union route. I was really worried about getting a single pipe in and being able to have time to twist it in both sides.

The fix can be seen in the pic below. Sorry about the mess with the primer. That stuff gets everywhere!

I had to get 2 hair dryers going on the blue pipes on both ends to get the ends of the union to match to thread the coupler. I think the curvature in the blue pipe was the problem. I should have straightened it out before cutting.

I am currently filling the hot tub and I will leave it for a few days to watch for leaks.

Thanks for ALL the great advice!

Attachments

• 7A0D3EEA-AAD2-4E14-9A35-2D9565A3CB8E.jpeg
    7A0D3EEA-AAD2-4E14-9A35-2D9565A3CB8E.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 137

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
curved pipe? Well it looks like fight to get that together all I can say is keep an eye on it.If the piece went all the way in I guess it should hold . Not the prettyiest but hope all fixed now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks