Replacing seat on Toto Carlyle (skirted) - removal of plastic bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

Gtown homeowner

Reaction score
Silly question, but we have a loose seat on an older (perhaps 15 y.o.) TOTO Carlyle skirted toilet. It looks to be exactly the model you have pictured in the 2008/2013 thread here (https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/replacing-toilet-seat-on-a-fully-skirted-toto.19338/)

MS874114SG_zoom.jpg

with the little side panels. The seat is old, and a little discolored, so I figure it should be quick and easy to replace using the TOTO SS114 elongated seat cover. I haven't yet purchased the replacement seat, but wanted to make sure I was also getting the correct hardware to do the job.

An issue I can foresee is that the skirted toilet doesn't allow ready access to the nut end of the plastic hinge bolt. The bolts have loosened over time, and they just spin in place when I try to tighten or loosen them.

Do I need to loosen the hold down bolts behind the side panels and tip the entire toilet forward to access the nuts and replace the seat? This seems pretty excessive for what should be a simple DIY fix. Alternatively, might I use a screwdriver or shim to lift the plastic seat up from the bowl (protecting the porcelain with a rag) and try and back the plastic bolt out that way? Assuming this works, I would simply let the plastic nut fall to the floor and then replace the old plastic bolts with the top-mount TOTO toggle bolts that seem a lot more practical.

Thanks for you advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet would have originally come with the toggles, but sometimes the installer didn't think to use them. It may be a good idea to pick up toggles for the new seat. If it was installed using the plastic bolts and nuts that came with the seat, maybe you can get them off by wedging up on the seat to can some pressure on the lower nuts. If not, it's not a big deal to remove the side panels, remove the hold down nuts and lift the bowl to gain access.

Gtown homeowner

Reaction score
"The installer didn't think to use them" seems to be the issue. Does TOTO include toggles with the replacement seat or just the plastic bolts? Would you recommend I purchase from a plumbing specialty store?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The SS114 comes with plastic bolts and nuts. The toggles are a special order.
It doesn't matter where you buy the seat or the toggles, it's going to be the same stuff.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The expanding rubber bolts come with the toilet...a new seat comes with the generic plastic bolts and nuts. I just did the same thing, replace a seat, in this case a Vespin. I found, though, that the lower end of one of the toggles had seized in the lower nut, and I ended up having to cut it out of there and buy new ones. You can buy a set of those bolts online if your local shop doesn't have them. The part number is: THU651N, and, I paid $9 delivered.

FWIW, the old ones, the bolt was brass...on the new one, it's made of SS, and the shape of the rubber is different - it seems to hold better.

toto_seat_toggle.jpg

ritafl

Reaction score
is it possible to only replace plastic seat bolts on Toto Aquia fully skirted toilet without lifting the whole thing?
the toilet is brand new, was installed about 6 months ago but the seat is constantly moving so i took a look and one of the plastic bolts looks broken and loose. is it possible to replace only the plastic bolt? would hate to get someone to come over for such a small thing if i can do it myself but since its fully skirted, not sure i'll be able to.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
is it possible to only replace plastic seat bolts on Toto Aquia fully skirted toilet without lifting the whole thing?

So somebody tossed the toggle bolts that came with the Aquia bowl and used the plastic bolts that came with the seat?
You will need to either remove the bowl to reuse the plastic bolts, or find the package for the seat toggles and use them from the top.

toto_seat_toggle.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You may be able to drill out the plastic bolts, but careful to not break the toilet. I would start with a small drill down the center of the bolt. Then work up. I am not a plumber.

ritafl

Reaction score
So somebody tossed the toggle bolts that came with the Aquia bowl and used the plastic bolts that came with the seat?
You will need to either remove the bowl to reuse the plastic bolts, or find the package for the seat toggles and use them from the top.

toto_seat_toggle.jpg

I'm not sure if they tossed it away or just broke the plastic bolt while installing but the seat is loose. i can't reuse the plastic bolts as the top of one of them is broken. if anything, i'll need a new pair.

i guess i'll have to call back my contractor and ask him to fix it. i deff will not be lifting the bowl on my own :)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Actually, other than the weight, pulling a Carlyle is pretty simple. Remove the two nuts on the bolts behind the two side covers and lift. Well, that's after turning the water off and flushing it to remove most of the water in the toilet and tank...hold the flush lever down to get the max water flushed. The actual seal to the flange is not impacted. The toilet seals to an adapter via a rubber gasket, so it just lifts off once the nuts are removed. Now, there MIGHT be some caulking around the toilet, and that would need to be cut/removed, to pull the toilet first.

Htownhomeowner

Reaction score
the toilet is brand new, was installed about 6 months ago but the seat is constantly moving so i took a look and one of the plastic bolts looks broken and loose. is it possible to replace only the plastic bolt? would hate to get someone to come over for such a small thing if i can do it myself but since its fully skirted, not sure i'll be able to.
Ritafl,

Were you able to remove the broken plastic seat bolt? I have a similar problem. I need to remove the plastic seat bolts on a discolored seat and install the toggle bolts on a new seat for a fully skirted Toto toilet installed in 2016. I'm thinking I need to somehow remove the heads of the plastic bolts and then push the bolts down inside the toilet. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The skirted Toto toilets use a rubber gasket to seal the toilet to the Unifit adapter. So, it may be easier to remove the two bolts behind the panels on the sides, tilt or lift the toilet off, to gain access to the nut on the bottom, remove them. Buy a set of the anchor bolts, and then you can install or remove the next seat without removing the toilet. The wax ring is attached to the Unifit adapter, so since that stays in place, just pull the toilet. Or, you could drill out the old ones, but from personal experience, that can be a little tough as it's hard to hold the bolt so it doesn't just spin with the drill bit, so doesn't cut. It can be done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks