Replacing sanitary tee

Users who are viewing this thread

sanrico

Reaction score
Hello,

In my bathroom, there was a double-sink vanity that we remodeled to just have one sink. Picture 1 below is the backside of the wall where the remaining sink is mounted, with the original plumbing.

I removed the ABS cross-point pictured below in order to replace the leaking whole-house valve that you can see tucked behind it. I thought I would replace it with the 2" x 1.5" x 1.5" sanitary tee I bought (picture 2), but now I'm second-guessing myself.

My questions:
1. The sanitary tee I bought sure looks different than what was there before. Is a sanitary tee like I purchased the correct item for this job? I saw Long Wye's and combination wye's.

2. If the sanitary tee I bought is correct, the thicker part of it sure bumps into the copper pipe that's behind it, making it really tight. Is this a problem?

Thank you very much!

Picture 1:
R2BYKyh.jpg

Picture 2:

fpbS4z0.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sanitary tee is correct.

What you had before was a double wye, and not even a legal one for a double lav.
They make a double fixture fitting, but that wasn't one.

sanrico

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your quick response. I am glad I can use the tee I bought. The one thing still bugging me is that the fat part of the tee that connects to the horizontal pipe is right up against that copper pipe behind it. It wants to push the tee so that I don't have a straight fit to the horizontal pipe. Is there some sort of angled fitting I should use to get around that pipe?

Thanks again!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Everything is pretty tight there. There isn't really a "get past a copper pipe" fitting for that.
During rough-in, the waste and vents are done first, and then the copper is done last. For the reason you're finding out about. When it's new, it's easier to move the copper to miss the larger pipes that need to properly grade. Copper can go up and down and around.

sanrico

Reaction score
Strike this question. It was a tight fit, but I got everything in there.

Would it be okay to use a 22-degree street elbow coming out of the horizontal orifice of the sanitary tee? That space is so tight with copper in front and in back of it, this elbow would give me the slight horizontal angle I would need to get to that pipe that goes to the p-trap. Is that acceptable or a bad idea?

Thank you very much for your expertise and sharing of knowledge. I'm a member of lots of forums, but I really can't think of one that is as helpful as this. It is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks