Replacing rotted drain under the floor with a pit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark DB

Reaction score
Hello,

On one side of my basement I have the kitchen sink running down from the first floor going into the basement floor. The clothes washer drain ties into it and the only floor drain is right next to it. This is all 2" pipe and runs about 25 feet underneath the basement concrete, (and under the newer furnace), into a wye to the main then out of the house. The tubs and toilets all come down the stack about ten feet from the wye.

I noticed about six months ago that the sump pump began running whenever the washer was used and when I finally made the connection I had the "hole" located. I cut up seven feet of floor and discovered that the two inch is cast and is completely rotted on the bottom. It appears to be rotted the entire length from the floor drain to the main and I would have to move my furnace to replace it all.

I am seriously thinking about putting in a pit instead and am wondering how to do this, would it meet code, do I have to have a floor drain in the basement, etc. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Mark DB

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What do you mean by a "pit"??

Everything must drain to the building sewer main. Pipes can be relocated or re-routed, but they will need to connect to the building sewer, whether it be in the basement or in the yard.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could use a small pump designed for this - it doesn't need to be in a pit, then pump it to a place where it could drain. Gravity is better, though. As long as you can maintain the slope, the line doesn't have to run straight. There are limitations on how many turns a pipe can take, though. You'd want to find the other end and either cap it or run your new line into it. Something like this would probably work http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/SubCategory/Product/?p=19&s=8&c=15. Check out their site to find the best one, if you want to go that route.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not running the washer into the pipe is only part of your problems. If the line is left under the floor, any time the sewer backed up that water would enter the sump pump, and what would you do about water on the basement floor if you do not have the floor drain usable?

Mark DB

Reaction score
Thanks for the good feedback, need to think about this some more.

Thanks for the good feedback, need to think about this some more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks