Replacing roof, thinking ahead...

Users who are viewing this thread

inexplorata

Reaction score
...So we had a hailstorm, roof is getting replaced. I'm thinking ahead to my not-dead-yet-but-could-go-any-time water heater replacement.

Of course I haven't picked out a model yet, but I want to cover my bases... I'm thinking of having the roofers put in a vent while it's all apart, in case I go with a powervent-type tank heater.

Is there a standard size, or a "so big they'll all work" vent size?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Power vent heater vent out the side of the house, similar to a dryer vent. Power vent heaters cost quite a bit more than standard vent models, so that might be a consideration. If you decide to go with a standard vent model, then putting that vent in now would be very wise. If you don't put it in now, it could still be done later, but not as easily. A power vent is quite easy to vent as they use 2" PVC. Research the pros and cons of both types of heaters, then decide which way seems right of you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks