replacing range unit with seperate peices

Users who are viewing this thread

dabiz7

Reaction score
Well, we are remodeling the kitchen. Currently, I have a regular range unit (single electric oven/four element electric cooktop combo) installed. We want to install a built in wall unit single oven and a separate electric cooktop above it. I beleive the 220v plug that the range is plugged into has its own dedicated circuit to the main box. My question, do I

1) run a seperate dedicatd circuit with its own breaker from the main box and have two sepearte 220v circuits, one for the cooktop and one for the oven?
or'
2) just wire the cooktop and oven together to the existing single 220v circuit that the previous unit was plugged into?

I am thinking that #2 is perfectly fine, but would like to get your opinion.
Really enjoy all areas of this forum.
Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First step is to read the install specs for your units, to see if they call for dedicated circuits. Then, our electric pros will let you know if the NEC will allow the arrnangement you suggest.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Functionally, that would probably work, but I think you'll probably find the installation instructions call for dedicated circuits. Code usually says you must follow the manufacturer's instructions. First step as indicated, is read those.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
i just went over this a while ago...
if i remember right a single oven and cooktop is considered a single unit and can be combined on the same breaker as far as the NEC goes.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
If this was in my house, I would prefer 2 separate circuits. Especially if the cooktop is a lower wattage than the range. Then I could install a lower amperage breaker for the cooktop and would feel better with that.

I know with stand alone ranges, the instructions will call for different breaker sizes depending on the specific model.

Also I have done a lot of troubleshooting and problem finding. Things break! It would be easier in the future for finding trouble with the range or cooktop if they were on separate circuits.

dabiz7

Reaction score
thanks everyone....
the instructions for each peice does say to use a seperate circuit.
they both recommend the same breaker size and wire gauge.

It really isn't a big deal to run another line from the box, was just hoping to save a little time and trouble.

another question, I think I will run the line fromt he main box along the inside fo the garage wall to the kitchen wall behind the oven/cooktop. Can I use plastic conduit inside the garage or does it have to be metal?

thanks again !!

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
...another question, I think I will run the line fromt he main box along the inside fo the garage wall to the kitchen wall behind the oven/cooktop. Can I use plastic conduit inside the garage or does it have to be metal?

I would check with your local electrical inspector on that. They usually have office hours where you can go and ask questions BEFORE doing the work. Take plenty of pictures of the areas and describe what you want to do, size and type of wire you are going to use, and breaker amperage.

Sometimes there are local rules for this or that. Also these guys are the folks who will OK the work, so always better to ask them instead of another source. They are usually happy to answer questions. They would rather you do it right the first time rather than make you rip something out and do it over. Also saves them time, they don't have to come back for another inspection!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks