Replacing Qest / Quest shutoffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes we need to replace Qest shutoffs. Normally after there has been a big flood in a home, and the insurance company wants the rest of them replaced. I have never been a big fan of plastic shutoffs in homes.
They are sometimes called Quest, but that's just one too many letters.

qest-stop-1.jpg

Here is a Qest shutoff with their own supply line.

qest-stop-2.jpg

After shutting off water to the home, I remove the shutoff from the backing nut. There is a cone washer backed by a metal keeper washer. I sometimes can hit that with a screwdriver and break the ring, but sometimes I need to cut two slots in the nut, insert a flat blade and twist, to pop the section of plastic out.

qest-stop-3.jpg

Now I have more room to access the backing metal washer.

qest-stop-4.jpg

I have the washers in the wrong order here. The metal washer hides behind the cone washer.

qest-stop-5.jpg

I trimmed just a bit off the copper pipe from the wall and used a new 1/4 turn shutoff and new braided supply line.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
I'm with you on the plastic valves, make them go away. I, being rather oldtimey, would have used 3/8 refer tube rather than the flex - but I am probably the only one who would do so.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
qest-shutoff.jpg

And sometimes you can get lucky and remove the cone washer, tap the ring with a small flat blade screwdriver and the the rest of it just slides off.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
qest-replace-3.jpg

This one broke at 3:00 AM on a Friday night at my nephews home. Two of them, and then I saw a third one that had been changed out already.
I guess they're not a forever thing to have in your home.

Greg_Stubborn_DIY

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to those who contributed to this thread. I replaced four of these PB QEST valves today and will do four more tomorrow. That will leave four *more* in the house and I'll get to those eventually.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks