Replacing PVC drain pipe for washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well I dont want you to feel bad it looks a little hokey but if its not getting covered and you put some support like plumbers tape and it has no weight to speak of on the joints I dont see the harm but if you are enclosing it id definately replace.
those arent approoved in that location , using shielded couplings is absolutely ok

imaltesers

Reaction score

I picked up one of these but it seems to be too small for the pipe. Is this the right one? Also there's a stop in the middle so I can't slip the whole thing on the pipe and slide it back over once in place (that's what I did for the other Fernco coupling). Any tips on how to get this one on?

Not planning to cover this anytime soon. I got some strap supports to wrap around the pipe and nail on the joists/ceiling. Where would I use the plumbers tape? Thanks for the feedback

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 3000-33 is for 3" CI to 3" Plastic, you should see one side is smaller than the other and has some raised text on the inside saying CI. For 3" Plastic to 3" Plastic, you need 3005-33.

See here for more info:

On installing the couplings, the pipes should be cut so there is an 1/8" to 3/16" gap between the plastic ends for the rubber stop. Then you slip the rubber on one end and roll the open end back over the installed end so that the second pipe can be moved into position. Then unroll the rubber and slide the shield into place to install.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Liquid dishwashing detergent can be used to lubricate for easier sliding.

imaltesers

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. The local box stores don't have the 3005-33 in stock so I need to travel further over the weekend. Will get to replacement after that.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. The local box stores don't have the 3005-33 in stock so I need to travel further over the weekend. Will get to replacement after that.
they arent as common sure seen a million regular no hub couplings used for this but those are incorrect. never seen a shieled coupling 3 inch plastic to plastic at a home depot but havent looked either

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks